• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1922 Proof Peace $ in an NGC slab walks into...

40 posts in this topic

the Pawn Stars shop on tonight's show...

Some guy won in a poker game... lol

Rick bought it $80,000.00. The guy initially wanted $20,000. Ahhh scripted reality TV!

I don't care much for scripted shows like this, but I would absolutely love to own a proof Peace Dollar.

The "Holy Grail" of coins! It seems that every rare item that walks into their shop becomes the "Holy Grail" of whatever.

lol... hey but with their "new" relationship with NGC they needed something truly spectacular to kick it off with - and I have to say a 1922 Proof Peace $ is a pretty incredible way to do it.

The "Holy Grail" of coins! It seems that every rare item that walks into their shop becomes the "Holy Grail" of whatever.

lol... hey but with their "new" relationship with NGC they needed something truly spectacular to kick it off with - and I have to say a 1922 Proof Peace $ is a pretty incredible way to do it.

That's true. But I think they(the producers of the show, not NGC) could have come up with a better story than "I won this in a poker game". I mean, seriously??

I wonder if NGC will create a special label for it (e.g. Ex Pawn Stars).

I had an Uncle who won a boat in a poker game once, he parked it in his driveway and put a 'For Sale' sign on it...people do some strange things when they are addicted to gambling.

Rick bought it $80,000.00. The guy initially wanted $20,000. Ahhh scripted reality TV!

Are you sure they paid $80,000 and that the coin was already graded by NGC? I think I have seen the coin and if so, suspect both of those pieces of information might be incorrect.

Are you sure they paid $80,000 and that the coin was already graded by NGC? I think I have seen the coin and if so, suspect both of those pieces of information might be incorrect.

Yes and yes. It was graded PF61.

The odd part that even though it was already graded by NGC, Rick still wanted an expert to review it and tell him it was real.

The expert said he had recently seen a slight better example sell for just over $100,000 and this coin was worth from $50,000 to less than $100,000. They settled at $80,000.

"Generation Gap

Premiere Date:December 22, 2014 - 09:00-09:30PM ET

Walk like an Egyptian with the Pawn Stars when a Roman shield movie prop from "Cleopatra" pops by the shop. Will Rick make an offer fit for a Pharaoh, or will this item end up ancient history? Then, a 1922 silver peace dollar rolls in. Will Rick go to war to win this rare coin, or will it be one lost cause for currency. And later, the guys talk about their generations. Will their arguments cause a big s-sensation, or will they just all f-fade away?"

Yes and yes. It was graded PF61.

The odd part that even though it was already graded by NGC, Rick still wanted an expert to review it and tell him it was real.

The expert said he had recently seen a slight better example sell for just over $100,000 and this coin was worth from $50,000 to less than $100,000. They settled at $80,000.

"Generation Gap

Premiere Date:December 22, 2014 - 09:00-09:30PM ET

Walk like an Egyptian with the Pawn Stars when a Roman shield movie prop from "Cleopatra" pops by the shop. Will Rick make an offer fit for a Pharaoh, or will this item end up ancient history? Then, a 1922 silver peace dollar rolls in. Will Rick go to war to win this rare coin, or will it be one lost cause for currency. And later, the guys talk about their generations. Will their arguments cause a big s-sensation, or will they just all f-fade away?"

Thanks!

Ever hear of counterfeit slabs?

And he may have wanted the expert more for pricing that authenticating.

I'm surprised no one linked the coin, which is now being auctioned at FUN:

http://coins.ha.com/itm/1922-1-high-relief-matte-pr61-ngc/a/1216-4211.s

Now the "Pawn Stars" have their own NGC labels?? When will the madness end???

If it makes NGC money, the madness will probably never end...

What's sad is that these Pawn Star i-diots don't know diddly squat about coins...but they can get a label as if they were something special or numismatically important.

(shrug)

I'm surprised no one linked the coin, which is now being auctioned at FUN:

http://coins.ha.com/itm/1922-1-high-relief-matte-pr61-ngc/a/1216-4211.s

What's sad is that these Pawn Star i-diots don't know diddly squat about coins...but they can get a label as if they were something special or numismatically important.

(shrug)

If it makes NGC any money, I doubt it will be very much. And I would have to agree that the "Pawn Stars" don't know much about coins, especially when every rare or seldom seem publicly offered coin that comes in the shop becomes the "Holy Grail" of coins. I think the "Pawn Stars" will be lucky if they get anywhere near the $80,000 that was paid for the coin. I could be wrong but I'm thinking final hammer price may be somewhere between $40,000-$60,000.

(shrug)

I was half joking when I originally posted about a special label for it. I think it is corny that they actually went through with it. Labels like that and pedigrees should be reserved for truly special collections, and not a one time/single coin purchase scenario IMO.

(shrug)

I was half joking when I originally posted about a special label for it. I think it is corny that they actually went through with it. Labels like that and pedigrees should be reserved for truly special collections, and not a one time/single coin purchase scenario IMO.

I would have to agree. I'd much rather own a Newman or Eliasberg pedigreed coin over a "Pawn Stars" "pedigreed" promotional label.

The coin is the most common version: 1922HR/rev 1922. It has clearly been abused/cleaned and otherwise banged around. The market will determine what it's worth....

To me, just an opinion, the label says "Stupid."

PS: Who was the "expert" they used on the show? I though B. Max Mehl and Farran Zerbe were mostly dead.

I don't remember the man's name, but he is the director of NGC Ancients. Seems to me that since it is a US coin, they should have someone from the US Coins side of NGC to be the expert.

The coin? Cool enough. I wouldn't mind owning it.

The label? Absurd. An important, historical coin that is almost 100 years old shouldn't be tainted by a ridiculous TV label that will even more meaningless in the future than it is now. Even if it was gifted to me, that coin would be in a new holder (or no holder) before I took possession of it.

The TV show? Scripted. Fake. Cheap entertainment. Nothing more.