• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Rare ( *+)

37 posts in this topic

How about a star, plus & CAC sticker, too?! :baiting:lol

Yes, star/plus combos are quite rare and I don't see them hardly ever.

They are super rare in the Walker series, at least.

Yes, I think they are quite rare. Probably even more so if they have both CAC and WINGS "beans" as well !

:applause:

CAC and WINGS don't sticker the same coins. No coin has both CAC and WINGS...

You caused me to look at the Walker Census:

MS 64+*=1

MS 65+*=4

MS 66+*=9

MS 67+*=12

For a total of just 26 +* coins for the entire series!!! :o:P:acclaim:

PS-No AU or lower coins with both.

I have a toned Peace $ with both the * and +. There is a total census of 12 * and + Peace $. I dont know how many are toned but its the only one I have ever seen.

pics?

MS 64+*=1

MS 65+*=4

MS 66+*=9

MS 67+*=12

Thats pretty neat right there! Where can i find this info on Morgans

MS 64+*=1

MS 65+*=4

MS 66+*=9

MS 67+*=12

Look on the NGC site under NGC research/Census and then choose Morgan dollars and the STAR tab and it will show you the numbers.

MS 64+*=1

MS 65+*=4

MS 66+*=9

MS 67+*=12

It comes from the NGC population census (which you must have a membership to see).

For Morgan Dollars, there are the following listed in the census with + and star_zpsfec1dbf4.png (star):

MS62+* = 3

MS63+* = 11

MS64+* = 55 (3 PL)

MS65+* = 46 (6 PL, 1 DPL)

MS66+* = 95 (1 PL)

MS67+* = 33 (2 PL)

MS68+* = 1

===================

Total = 244 (12 PL, 1 DPL)

The total NGC census of all graded Morgan Dollars as of today lists 2,938,682 coins.

Those with +* are (244 / 2,938,682) 0.000083 (or one for every 12,044 graded).

OF COURSE -- you have to realize that one of the reasons the +* combination is so rare is because the "+" hasn't been around that long. NGC has been grading coins since 1987, the "+" has been around since part way through 2010. So, "rarity" is sort of a contrived idea...

I just added up the numbers for the 1946-1964 Roosevelt dime series. These figures represent the total coins with both Plus and Star designations combined in the NGC census (last updated 12/10/2014) and includes all business-struck designations (MS, FT, & PL); but excludes varieties. No proof coins were included in this total.

But I count a total of 92 coins with Plus and Star designations combined in the NGC population from the silver Roosevelt dime series. This represents a little under 0.13% of NGC's 71,054 currently certified silver Roosevelt dimes. Again, these number exclude proof and variety coins.

2wqs5lw.png

The most common date with both Plus and Star designations is the 1947-S, with 8 total. Several dates have no coins in the NGC population with both Plus and Star designations. These include 1947-P, 1948-P, 1949-P, 1950-P, 1950-D, 1955-P, 1956-D, 1959-P, 1961-P, and 1962-P.

For the 90% silver Roosevelt dime series, I'd say coins with both Plus and Star designations are quite scarce, even if my counting is a little off.

663,071 total Peace $ graded...

I did the * and + numbers for Peace $ - .000018097 of the total pop.

Just * are .000304643 (202 total)

And just + are .002619628 (1737 total)

Of the total 202 * Peace $ in existence - I have been able to track 25% of them (toned examples only) in regards to sale prices for the past 7 years or so.

So do these represent coins that the graders just couldn't bring themselves to award the next grade up for some reason, What are the 9 little things that held all those 66+* Walkers from 67 in light of some outstanding attribute (toning, near PL-ness, etc.) that compelled the awarding of a star? Are these expected to trade for more money than the next grade up unadorned? Would it be because of the coin or because of the rare combinations of annotations on the label? Does the star in general mean that one shouldn't bother with the price guides?

I keep this one in my Nascar box of 20. Sticker, +, * and pedigree ; )

Thank you for editing my pic!

M

2wqs5lw.png

And...we have the most useless of all visual displays -- the PIE CHART! :sick:

Shame on you... Jacques Bertin is rolling in his grave...

I generally agree with you when it comes to pie charts with more than two numerical proportions where comparing the areas can be difficult. But no other kind of chart would work for this purpose; unless it was a huge image.

The purpose of the pie chart was to show how relatively small the population of silver Roosevelt dimes with both the Plus and Star designations is within the NGC population, which I think was accomplished. Bertin would give me a pass on this one.

2wqs5lw.png

And...we have the most useless of all visual displays -- the PIE CHART! :sick:

Shame on you... Jacques Bertin is rolling in his grave...

I generally agree with you when it comes to pie charts with more than two numerical proportions where comparing the areas can be difficult. But no other kind of chart would work for this purpose; unless it was a huge image.

The purpose of the pie chart was to show how relatively small the population of silver Roosevelt dimes with both the Plus and Star designations is within the NGC population, which I think was accomplished. Bertin would give me a pass on this one.

I heartily disagree. The best figure in this case was no figure at all.

What about a +, a *, and a FBL?

This one is graded NGC MS-65+*-FBL, and is one of my all-time favorite coins.

And when Mark Salzberg reviewed this coin for me, he told me the tiny little nick at k3 on the obverse rim is what's keeping it back from 66.

1963NGCms66fblObvHR02_1.jpg

1963NGCms66fblRevHR08_1.jpg

How rare is it for a coin to receive the Star and plus on the same slab? I imagine it must be a Very very low % of coins correct?

Theoretically, a Star is for Exceptional Eye appeal, and a PLUS means High-end for the grade. The two actually converge in some cases, and there is a grey area in this, because high-end coins are often coins with substantially nicer eye appeal than the average example of the grade. I find that NGC is often content assigning just a plus, when I felt it could also be a STAR, but that could just be my perception, or my expectation.

I have several +*CAC coins over three 20th Century silver series,' so it does happen! I think the + is still too new to take anything away from pie charts and other statistics.

And when Mark Salzberg reviewed this coin for me, he told me the tiny little nick at k3 on the obverse rim is what's keeping it back from 66.

Occasionally, I see coins like this, Jason. Out of the slab, those tiny rim cuts can be brutal to eye appeal, and will almost always result in a grade reduction. That does not take away from the quality and eye appeal of this monster at the 65+* level ;)

Gorgeous! Now get it beaned!!! (thumbs u

Best, HT