• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mint errors or PMD?

8 posts in this topic

There are mint errors on this Lincoln cent, I am not sure if there is also PMD..here is the photo...

first photo: doubling of "we" and injury? to Lincoln's head

second photo die crack on Lincoln's shoulder (west)

third photo Lincoln's head

I will have to post the entire coin because there is another crack East extending from the rim to above the 7 in 1997.

the die crack on the shoulder is raised, I can feel it with my finger, so is the crack above the 7

Well, the photos do look a little better..

151565.jpg.b5e61e64c2353c66e3f40441835b499a.jpg

151566.jpg.3d2a6ee2b1063c076df86b41ff18ae44.jpg

151567.jpg.834d8efc7d98cd63a6a3a095c78991f6.jpg

Post mint damage.

Hopefully you don't take offense to this, but I am seeing these cents you are posting pics of, and asking if its "errors" and I'm wondering if you are trying to take a cent, and then "make it into an error coin" ???

Regardless of whether or not it is you doing the damage, or you really are finding them this way, they have all looked to me like someone was taking a normal cent, and"trying to replicate" a mint error???

Even if you/they/anyone could actually accomplish this, I personally do not see it being a lucrative endeavor.

Since 'modern' cents are nothing but a thin copper jacket over a zinc core, they can be easily damaged through normal commerce. After a certain amount of time, they were designed to be expendable and cheaply replaced.

I do not think anything about this cent is considered a minting error...what you see here occurred well after it left the mint facility.

uh, that was a poor choice of words on my part. I apologize to those I offended. I didn't finish the topic, that is all that I can say. I am not trying to make it an error. I intended to ask if it's an error. I imagine in your experience you have come across a lot of fake and people trying to "make" errors. I don't have the know how or any reason to take a cent and make an error. I hope you don't be offended but, have you ever been "ripped off" for a huge amount of money? I guess that happens to collectors from one time or another. No, I would never try to do that I am having a hard time even posting and I don't spend my time "making" error coins. If that coin looks like PMD it wasn't done by me or anyone. I am in possession of these coins and no one but me handles them. My dad didn't spend his time damaging coins. I have coins that are in very bad shape, and I will send them to the mint for redemption.

I think I will change the topic to avoid any more accusations or confusion...at least I will attempt to change the topic

Boss, Thanks for the comment on the photos. However, are you able to see the die crack on his shoulder? It's quite large. I am thinking a PMD along with a mint error makes a coin worthless...is that correct? I still have some work to do with the pics. Your suggestions helped me a lot...

Boss, Thanks for the comment on the photos. However, are you able to see the die crack on his shoulder? It's quite large. I am thinking a PMD along with a mint error makes a coin worthless...is that correct? I still have some work to do with the pics. Your suggestions helped me a lot...

It looks more like a scratch or gouge to me. A die crack would be completely raised. The easiest way I can explain it, is it would look more like someone welded a line on a piece of metal.