• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

coin color red or bronze?

19 posts in this topic

I am having problems determining color of Lincoln cents. I posted 5 photos to see if anyone could help with the color. I have viewed The Penny Lady website..but still not sure. Please comment.

Thank you

edit: I think the first coin is bronze, the second coin is brown. The lower three from left to right, I am not sure, I am thinking red.

didn't mean to post that last coin...it was turning a darker red, it's a 1919 Lincoln wheat. The obverse changed to entirely red and the reverse is partial red, actually I am thinking it's rust. ...

151379.jpg.30dc793c5a6701b7a115b9baabc7527e.jpg

151446.jpg.06332691065c4d3430f1b01dab942cf4.jpg

I think the top left coin would be called Red and the top right coin would be called Brown.

The bottom three would probably be called Red-Brown, a term that covers a "multitude of sins" (that is, a broad range of colors).

For the bottom three, the two on either side would probably be called Red and Brown. Although the one in the middle as some red left, it would probably be called Brown unless the other side is totally red.

I have seen R&B Indian cents that were brown on one side and red on the other called R&B. These coins were probably stored in coin cabinet where one side was also down on the velvet and the other side facing upward. My guess is the up side became the brown side, especially if it was exposed to light for an extended period.

Dave,

All of my 1996 Lincoln cents are red. I haven't been able to find a value for them. They are all AU. I see them selling on EBay for .0.99 cents, some for over a dollar and other prices. I was wondering what to do with them rather than to roll them and take them to the bank. I have so many. I haven't seen any 1996 value except on the PLady's site and they are all wheat.

moneyhoney,

Well, if you see AU 1996 cents selling for $0.99 or more on eBay, I guess you could try your luck selling on eBay, too. (Personally, I find it hard to believe that someone is willing to spend $0.99 on an AU 1996 cent, even if it is Red.)

If you don't want to sell them on eBay, I think your only other option is to take them to the bank.

I haven't seen any 1996 value except on the PLady's site and they are all wheat.

Also, you should change this sentence, since no 1996 cent is a Wheat cent and you'll just confuse people.

Dave, I really didn't mean that. I will have to proof-read my posts carefully. They are real pretty pennies. They are all AU...I am a crafter too...hmm, might make some earrings at least will not have to spend any extra money on gifts.

wish they were all 1955/55 !!

thank you for answering my questions I know they are elementary but I learn...I am also trying to buy a scale to weigh coins. I did research and found out what I need is 10th gram scale. I have found a few that are inexpensive. I still haven't forgot about the camera either......looking at these pennies, they are so pretty. I will post a few right here ..

edit: there are also some 1993s and RBs, sadly, I cant capture the real beauty of these coins

151391.jpg.f7d1b7cd57134101970215bf15a67200.jpg

moneyhoney,

It's true - brand-new coins from a fresh roll are very pretty. The only problem is that many other people think so too and those people put away rolls and rolls of brand-new coins. If enough people do that, then the price of those coins will be modest, because so many were saved in MS or AU condition.

At many coin shows you can find rolls of brand-new looking coins from the 90s, the 80s, the 70s, the 60s and even the 50s or earlier.

Also, if you find an eBay auction that you think is relevant, such as one for a 1996 cent in AU, go ahead and link it or give us an eBay auction number. We can explain whether the auction is what you think it is.

Dave, these are not new rolls. These rolls of coins were among others that my dad left behind. I have lots of those shiny coins that I removed from old wrappers. He owned a store and customers would pay him in rolls of coins. Now, you can remember how long it has been when people did that type of business. These were his credit customers and that is how they paid him.

I went to facebook this morning and BAM!! There is a post for Lincoln's cents. Clicked on the link and it went to ebay....sooo many pennies on that link...sto;; wonder how much the seller will end up with after ebay and pen pal is paid....

moneyhoney,

I looked at the eBay listing to which newprepper linked.

That listing is for an Uncirculated 1996 cent for $0.99 plus $0.99 shipping. I looked at that seller's listings, also. He seems to offer a lot of cents at various prices. If a seller were to have a big operation, then selling an Uncirculated 1996 for $2 (essentially) would work, because he's doing enough business to support his shipping operation and the 1996 cent would just be a small incremental cost.

Also, the key thing is that he's offering an Uncirculated cent. I really doubt that someone would be able to sell an AU cent. Collectors of modern cents want Uncirculated examples, so they either buy Mint Sets and break them apart or they buy a single Uncirculated example from a dealer, who has them in roll quantities.

If a seller wants to sell Uncirculated modern cents on eBay, he would need to ensure that the cents really were uncirculated, because any returns would be very expensive to the seller (in terms of hurting his profit margin).

George, I have to read EBay terms but, for 0.99 cent there isn't a profit...I still have lots of coins to go through. They are all "Close AM". I will keep the link you provided. Thank you for responding.

When you are selling for .99 you are mailing with a stamp and envelope, about 50 cents, on the 2 bucks you have 1 cent cost, 50 shipping, .20 ebay fee, about 40 cents paypal, so you make 89 cents roughly on that penny, sell enough and you can make a pretty penny. haha, now sell 2 or 3 to the same person and you can make a little more. Forgot a couple cents for packaging, flip or little ziplock

Dave,, it just seems odd to me, that post popped up on EBay this morning. I think I was coin-jacked. It could be more than a coincidence. I am on facebook everyday and that is the first time I ever saw a EBay post for Lincoln's red one cent., just when we were talking about them...just odd...

moneyhoney,

It sounds more like targeted advertising to me: perhaps eBay or Facebook noticed that you had looked at Lincolns on eBay, so their algorithms gave you that advertising.

It happens to me frequently. I'll look at gloves on LL Bean, for example, and then I'll see ads for gloves or LL Bean on the other websites I visit later.