• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conservation submission for PL Morgan

17 posts in this topic

I just sent this CC Morgan in to NCS for conservation:

http://i.imgur.com/Ir0qfVZ.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/UT3O7QU.jpg

The toning is somewhat distracting. I paid $575 for the coin, pricing analysis shows it is worth a hundred or so more, but as a problem free coin. Would it be standard practice for NCS to dip out the entire coin? Some have tried using the guarantee submission option for coins with eye appeal issues, probably not the way to go here, plus you have at least an extra month wait usually.

I do think NCS will dip the entire coin. I have asked in the past and was told that NCS has procedures for doing one side of a coin, but to be honest, I think the toning is probably inhibiting the mirrors on both sides, and the toning would be a negative for many collectors. I would be very surprised if the entire piece wasn't dipped.

Edited to add: I have also sent coins in for review for eye appeal issues, and have had the coins take three weeks (from the post office and back to my Post Office box). I don't think it is substantially longer than a normal NCS submission. And I am not sure if it matters what type of coin it is (i.e. value), but I sent in a gem proof Mercury Dime with ugly toning enveloping much of the obverse. There was also minor toning on the periphery of the reverse - certainly nothing to write home about. NGC dipped the entire coin and mailed it back to me.

On another note, I don't think the toning on the coin is unacceptable for the grade level, so you would probably have lost on a guarantee submission, but you could always leave instructions to contact you before mailing it back and incurring extra postage to submit it for normal NCS service.

P.S. The last three 1890-CC NGC MS62 PL dollars sold at Heritage for less than $600 per Coin Facts. This is the type of coin that I would flip if I owned as is, even if taking a slight loss. I also don't think the coin is going to upgrade based on the contact marks on the obverse alone.

I got it back from conservation today, generally happy with the result, images are substandard, a result of Staples scanning department but took an hour wait to even get these:

BThd1kx.jpg?2

8XMwVtC.jpg?1

If that is the best Staples can do, I'd ask for a refund.

Chris

But the first Staples I went to was even worse, they gave me these and said it was due to the fact they were in plastic: http://i.imgur.com/01V8VFn.jpg

Upside down, blurry and unusable, NGC's images are better by a mile but they are copyright protected. I contacted Staples corporate that I had gone to two of their stores and that the lack of proper training appears to be the cause, which is strange in this day and age.

A fellow came up from NYC today and I sold the coin for $650, I got it back from CAC a couple days ago (CAC had offered me $620) and put it on ebay. He is an avid collector and I hope he enjoys it. So probably lost $20 or so between conservation, regrading, shipping and CAC fee.

A fellow came up from NYC today and I sold the coin for $650, I got it back from CAC a couple days ago and put it on ebay. He is an avid collector and I hope he enjoys it. So probably lost $20 or so between conservation, regrading, shipping and CAC fee.

I would honestly call that a win under the circumstances, and I am sorry to hear that you lost any money at all. I am also very happy you found a buyer for it in the current market. My experience has been that lower graded PL coins have been more difficult to move in many cases (particularly when in a series known for producing PL coinage). Many collectors seem turned off by the way that highly reflective fields emphasize/over-emphasize marks in the fields.

P.S. For fun, did it sticker?