• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you continue to sell certified coins to a buyer.....

66 posts in this topic

In keeping with the idea that E-Bay doesn't allow sellers to grade coins I'd say I've done exactly the same. I post raw coins with descriptions like Gem, Near Gem, Choice, etc.

I try hard to be earnest in those descriptions.

I understand about Ebay not allowing sellers of uncertified coins to list numerical grades. Of course, no one forced the seller to crack the coins out of their holders and thus have to face that restriction by Ebay.

But do you think you would describe a coin as "gem" and "would grade very high mint state" if you cracked it out of a 61, 62 or 63 holder? And would you claim it had been in a family for decades, without knowing that to be the case?

This person wouldn't be selling Morgans on Ebay would they??? I bought about 10 raw Morgans....same story and all listed as Gem with the notation that they should be certified. I got them in hand and they weren't gem but since I wasn't paying gem prices and I knew I was taking a risk buying them raw I sent them off and had them certified vs returning them. I of course lost quite a bit of money as they all graded in the MS62-MS64 range and with grading fees thrown in I would say I lost 30%.

It wouldn't be this operation would it?

http://www.ebay.com/usr/galleriacoinbuyers?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Same M.O. every time; sell raw stuff "that should be certified", "has been in a lock box for 50 years", etc..

Here are a bunch of coins that they recently sold: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=11116&LH_Sold=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=%26LH_SpecificSeller%3D1&_saslop=1&_sasl=%09+galleriacoinbuyers+galleriacoinbuyers&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1

Here is their terms of sale on one coin:

"You are bidding on a Gem Brilliant Uncirculated 1877 $20.00 Double Eagle Gold Coin. This coin is from an Original Roll and has been in a bank Lock box for 50 years until today! I bought a large gold deal from the same collection and will be listing it for many days! Galleria Coin Buyers Houston, Texas 832-703-686614 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE NO QUETSIONS ASKED. However, You won't return the coin because it is just to nice and you won't be disappointed. All of my auctions offer a 14 day money back guarantee. Please don't come to me after this because I will not have a coin out of my hands any longer than this. There have been some attempted switch arooo's on me and I will not stand for it.

They say you can't con an honest man, another saying that doesn't really hold water. Plenty of honest people are deceived and conned every day.

The unfortunate thing is there are so many good sellers with certified or certifiable material being offered that there is no reason for people to do business with the slick ones.

You could always take the "I'm just following orders" defense. But you still might have to deal with your own conscience afterword.

That's funny...I am conducting 3 separate investigations currently for my job and have completed 8 others since January. What is funny is how often I get this response. Unfortunately for those who attempt this "excuse" it is more of an admission of guilt than anything else.

What I find amazing through this whole thread is how accepting so many seem to be when it only has to do with making more money. The "buyer beware" is certainly true and doing ones due diligence is essential but it's unfortunate that so many are willing to turn the other cheek and walk the other way instead of do the right thing.

Since I don't feel it's my job to police ebay and since I don't pay any attention to peoples stories unless I know them and trust them, it wouldn't bother me.

If the OP said that he received a coin from his great-grandfather who was the butler to the President of the United States, and it was a super gem, I would believe it.

If you learned that he was cracking them out and offering them at higher grades on Ebay, while lying in his listings about where he obtained the coins?

Obviously, if I sold the coin on eBay I wouldn't have much choice. However, if I knew beforehand and I had some control over who I sold to I'd probably avoid them.

As you know there are dealers who pay for certified coins turn around and "flip" them for a lot more STILL in the same holder. Somehow they are able to sell these coins and often rather quickly. So it really isn't a surprise to me some sellers are able to sell raw coins like this as well.

The best you can do it try to educate buyers who are new to this. Unfortunately, I don't really have the time to police eBay and it is hard to save some buyers from themselves. The school of "hard knocks" might be best in some instances...

jom