• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kenndey 50 cent coin set posted by Johnson 1

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Not to happy with the Quality

I have been able to review 50 sets of the 50th Anniversary Kennedy 2014 Half-Dollar Silver Coin. Now these sets were not all mine. The set belonged to friends and family. This is what I found after reviewing 200 coins. I recommend that 30 sets be returned to the Mint for a refund. These coins lacked quality that one would expect from the Mint. One Mint produced great looking coins. Many of these coins would grade 70. So let's take look. The best coin in the collection which stands heads and shoulders above the rest is the reverse proof coin from the U.S. Mint at West Point. The best looking and best produced coin. The second best coin uncirculated coin from the U.S. Mint at Denver. Denver Mint did a good job in the production of their coin. Now on to the biggest disappointments of the day. The two remaining Mints just turned out junk coins. These two mints killed many if not all of the coins, which sent the sets back to the Mint. Coins with milk spots, defects in the face of the coins. Defects that went on and on. The proof coin from the U.S. Mint at Philadelphia had a large number of coins with Milk spots on them. The enhanced uncirculated coin from the U.S. Mint at San Francisco was by far the worst coin in the group. I have never seen so many bad coins, some would maybe grade MS67. Over all I would give this set a poor rating for quality. The lack of quality from the Philadelphia and San Francisco Mint killed this set. Out of the 50 sets, 30 were returned for refund 15 sets were kind of ok but not of grading quality, only 5 set were sent in the NGC for grading. I think only 1 enhanced uncirculated coin from the U.S. Mint at San Francisco may grade 70 as well as 1 from the Philadelphia Mint. I think all 5 reverse proof coins from the U.S. Mint at West Point will grade 70. 3 uncirculated coins from the U.S. Mint at Denver may make the grade to 70.

See more journals by Johnson 1

Interesting. All the coins on my two sets looked fine. I don't bother with the whole MS69-70 "grading" silliness, but there were few discernible defects on any of the eight.

I sent five sets to NGC for grading, 2 Philadelphia's graded at 69, 2 Denver's were 69 all others were 70. About par for the course considering the last three sets of Eagles the mint sold.