• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Auction Question

5 posts in this topic

I'm high bidder on a lot when Internet Bidding ends. The lot has no reserve. The floor auction hasn't even started.

I am outbid about 12 hours after Internet Bidding Ends, but 3 hours before before the floor auction begins. I get an email with "Note: Your secret maximum bid has been outbid with a secret bid greater than or equal to your bid."

How does this happen? I did not bid an Off-Increment amount.

You can put in bids after the internet bidding is over. I know dealers do it all of the time and so have I. Those can be done by phone or email for example. If at Long Beach, for example, you can go up to their table at the show before any auction and enter a bid. I've done it...I didn't want to hang around all night and didn't know anyone that was going to be there. This was clearly AFTER internet bidding closed...a good 24 hours before.

jom

I once put in a bid by phone after the internet bidding ended and before the auction. My bid then showed up in My Heritage, My Bids section.

Hoot

In a recent Heritage auction, I entered some snipes in with about 30 seconds to go - and they failed to register. I called them up and after various transfers and such, ended up talking to someone in their internet group. He was able to see that I had indeed placed my bids in time, but a glitch on their end failed to register them, so they would have to be entered in by hand through some "backdoor" method.

To make a long story short, I got hold of the appropriate person to hand-enter the bids, but this all occurred some hours after on-line bidding had technically ended - and I won all five of the coins I bid on (I had strong bids).

This is one possible explanation!

James

Greg:

Heritage also has something called "Legacy Customers." Here's what it says

about part of the benefits of being such a customer:

New Extended Bidding for Legacy Customers

Update your bids after regular Internet bidding has closed on all signature lots. Bid on-line up to several hours before a live session starts in all Signature Auctions, not just until 10 PM the night before the session.

So, perhaps it's a Legacy Customer that has outbid you? For what it's worth, I am a Legacy Customer. I have NO idea how they determined that I qualify. Sure, I've bought some coins from them, but I sure don't think I am a big enough fish to qualify as a Legacy Customer. My best guesss are that either I qualify because I've used their website for a bunch of years or, more likely, they simply made a mistake.

Mark