• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern Silver Dollar Commemoratives

Who collects modern $ commems  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Who collects modern $ commems

16 posts in this topic

I have a few modern $5 gold commems, all proofs. Most have not moved much in price over the past couple years. They seem to have a immediate price boost for small issue sets and then long periods without much change.

The lower mintage gold commem`s interest me somewhat. Also the bi-metallic $10 Library of Congress. I think it is undervalued considering the mintages for the majority of modern commem`s and modern U.S. coinage in general. grin.gif

Who collects modern $ commems

I'm a bit surprised that over half of the respondents collect modern silver $ commemoratives since I've never seen them mentioned on the NGC boards before. This was the instigation for starting this thread: to see how many collectors were out there.

Have the prices on the key dates stabilized or will the new Coin World articles on the modern commem market create a fresh demand?

It is insane but I think that prices will continue to climb for this series. Especially since "Coin World" is starting a lengthy series on modern commems.

Do you collect modern half dollar commemoratives?

I have all of the proofs slabbed by NGC but I eventually want to trade them off for raw examples of the same. I only have a couple of the ms halves, though. I will eventually collect them all in a Dansco album.

Who collects classic commems?

I'm surprised that there are so many active collectors of this series although I know that they are popular.

Maybe sometime down the road I'll work on this set. As it is, I only have a couple of them slabbed.

If anyone has an AU Lafayette dollar that is original with lots of eye appeal, then I will pay MS 60 money for it. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

I'm also interested in eventually purchasing a 1926 Norse Medal (thick or thin) to go with the Lief Erickson commems.

I've been buying the gold commems since the Salt Lake coins but otherwise just have a few of the others.

I also think that the $10 bimetallic coin is awesome, even though I don't own it.

I noticed that a rash of modern Commem. Dollar registry sets have been posted in the past couple weeks. Some people out there are obviously collecting them.

I just dabble in the commems. Recently, I bought the US Constitution Dollar and gold $5 in proof. I don't expect the value to go up since so many were made. I bought it because I like the gold $5. The dollar is plain ugly. I just paid spot gold for the set so it was like getting the silver dollar for free. The coins are raw (in the origional mint holder). I don't see a need to get them graded since most modern proofs are in high grade DCAM.

Overall, I don't collect too many of the commems because many are so ugly. Often the modern dollars have the ugliest designs and I have no desire to own them. Even many of the classic commems are ugly.

Thanks for all of the input, boardsters!

Y'all helped me make a decision as to what area to concentrate on: 1)my high grade type set or 2)the thirty remaining silver dollar commems.

So, based upon the poll, the commems can wait.

I'm in pursuit of PR 64 Cameo SL & Barber halves and the same for a Barber quarter. I strongly feel that these prices will escalate drastically in a year or so, so now is the time to buy.

Yet, you look at the prices of the '95 and '96 commems just a year or two ago and their prices have already almost doubled.

Hence, my dilemma but my mind is done made up. Classic types it is!

Man, you oughta see the PR66 RB 1865 2 cent piece that I just purchased! Sweet is an understatement.

Maybe I'll buy myself another digital camera to make a post. (My daughter got my old one. tongue.gif)

Anyway, thanks for the input! thumbsup2.gif

Man, you oughta see the PR66 RB 1865 2 cent piece that I just purchased! Sweet is an understatement.

Victor, you know by now that you are not allowed to gloat unless we can see a picture. grin.gif Show us the goods, man.!!!

Victor, you know by now that you are not allowed to gloat unless we can see a picture. grin.gif Show us the goods, man.!!!

Sorry, not until we're married. 893whatthe.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I will As Soon As Possible which doesn't necessarily mean soon. frown.gif

Well ..... ok, then. shy.gif

Actually, I'm going to head back into Vegas next Monday. I think that I'll borrow my daughter's digital camera and see what I can do.

I should be getting some submissions back from NCS/NGC pretty soon and I'll include some photos of some of those coins, too. I sent in an '09 proof Liberty nickel and a '42 proof silver Jefferson.

The '09 was graded PR65 cameo by PCGS but has a deep cameo obverse which was subdued somewhat by even, envelope toning but it has flawless surfaces! This will come back at least a 66 and maybe even a 66* or ( 893crossfingers-thumb.gif) a 67 Cameo. Since the reverse is just cameo'd then I doubt that I'll get the ultra cameo designation but miracles do happen.

The '42 Jefferson was graded PR 67 by NGC. The reverse has gorgeous sky blue toning over Monticello!!! It will probably be one of the most beautiful Jefferson proofs from this year that you will ever see. I had NCS conserve the obverse since I felt that this would improve its appearance although it has some nice toning, too. I just felt that a couple of areas were not worth the trade off for the original, obverse patina.

OH! Here's a post -script:

A Radiologist bud of mine let me borrow his cabin up on Mt. Charleston (20 miles outside of Vegas) last weekend. It was so very beautiful with the huge snowflakes a-falling and all. Right off of the front porch is an incredible view of a huge granite bluff scattered with pine trees in a winter wonderland scene.

So, you ask, what could spoil this enchantment? Um, how about a severe avalance warning placing the cabin in the flow zone? I was there oblivious to the news when, on Monday night, a channel 13 news crew knocked on the door. "So, tell us about your decision to ride out the avalanche warning." "Pardon", I say! "Yeah, a 13 yr old boy was swept off of a ski lift yesterday by an avalanche and with the rain, the snow is very unstable." Well, needless to say, I skidaddled out of there pretty quick. And, I was on the ch. 13 11:00 PM news.

I guess that life is full of unexpected adventures, eh?

Thanks, Mel! My little cat scan buddy! grin.gif

I just had an interesting CT last night: a 55 yr old woman fell and twisted on the way down. Her left rectus abdominus was hemorrhaged and enlarged to 10X's the normal size. Ouch!

Her left rectus abdominus was hemorrhaged and enlarged to 10X's the normal size.

Rectus? It damn near killed us.

tonofbricks.gif

Now, that is funny!! 27_laughing.gifhail.gif27_laughing.gif