Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Double Sided nickel, heads on both side's, need help.

18 posts in this topic

i took pictures but cant get them to upload this is my first time using this site, well i did some research of my own. i found the only thing that could make this nickel double sided with heads like the one i have, is if 2 coins were smashed together and if so the weight would be off, well i threw it on a scale it reads 5.01, i see no seem as if they were smashed together, i really think this is a misprinted coin!, crazy thing is. one side has 1984 on it and the other has 1995!?, did i find a super rare misprint!? or am i just getting excited!?.... plzzz help anyone who knows about misprinted U.S. coin's thank you!

Capthenway is correct. The reason the weight isn't off is because two nickels were most likely sliced in half and put together. You may even see a small seam on the side if you look closely.

There's no way that a mint error like this could happen!!! Especially with the dates you are mentioning. I see no other explanation except that this is a nickel made this way by a person other than the US Mint.

Kyler, look along the inside edge of the rim with a microscope if you have one available. As a rule, the inside of one coin is partially reamed out while the rim and the face of another coin is cut away. Since the advent of CNC machines, this operation can be performed with extreme accuracy.

Chris

Do both sides have a normal portrait of Jefferson? If "Yes" it's a "magician's coin" or novelty item of no value.

And to think some folks are worried that there is not a sufficient stream of YN's to keep the hobby alive.

hm

I always look forward to the weekly "is this worth anything?" thread from someone who found a buffalo nickel... Or, of course, the daily "I can't figure how to post a photo" thread.

I always look forward to the weekly "is this worth anything?" thread from someone who found a buffalo nickel... Or, of course, the daily "I can't figure how to post a photo" thread.

Personal-Liking.jpg

ok, i agree i think it must be a magician coin too, sorry for wasting your guys time, thanks for the info! hey its not everyday you find a magician's coin either!! haha.

There ya go. Cool to have!

If both heads are raised as on a normal nickel then it is a magicians coin. If one head is raised and the other sunken into the coin then you have what is called a brockage, created when a planchet is struck between an obverse die and the heads of a previously struck coin.

Never mind I just noticed in your first post where you say they have different dates. Magicians coin for sure.