• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would NGC do regarding this coin?

12 posts in this topic

I recently found this coin (Attached) on the internet - an older NGC holdered MS66 1963-D Franklin - that at first looked pretty good...until I went to the larger image. There are numerous instances of fingerprints all over the obverse and reverse of the coin. My question is - What would be the response of NGC regarding this development?

679206-NGC63-D.jpg.c0fd6af610ebff06742a7008ef796c77.jpg

I'm going to guess that you found this coin on TeleTrade and I'm also going to guess that those fingerprints were on the coin when it was submitted. The piece probably has very clean surfaces, mark-wise, and this allowed NGC to grade it as highly as they did. Please note that I think the coin has negative eye appeal and would not buy it for me, but I have seen many similar instances in all the major TPG holders.

While I hate fingerprints, I think this coin looks OK. Much better than the usual blast/blah white of this date. I'm not saying I would buy it, but it isn't awful.

As for what NGC will do? They might dip it for you and make it blast white. However, the prints are likely etched in the coin and they would tell you the coin is fine as is and return it to you like this.

Poster: kryptonitecomics

Subject: Re: What would NGC do regarding this coin?

I agree with Tom...I own several nice toners that have prints and were certified by NGC and PCGS.........that probably how they got the nice toning

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

michael

i agree with tomb thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif this franklin has negative eye appeal

and also great post by krypto shane 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gifcool.gif you usually find great toned coins exceptional toned coins with fingerprints it all depends on the print i have seen killer pre 1916 toned coins superb gem grade both pcgs and ngc that where fingerprinted by collectors pushing the coins in the albums longlong ago pre 1940 and usually they are ugly gross coins no matter the toning and technical high graded and sometimes 8i can live with the fingerprint as it is not really that bad overall it all depends on many factors that i cant explain in words but show me a fingerprinted coin and i can tell you if it is a rat dog pig turd or if it is a great extraordinary coin even with the fingerprint cloud9.gif

a great thread thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

michael

While I hate fingerprints, I think this coin looks OK. Much better than the usual blast/blah white of this date. I'm not saying I would buy it, but it isn't awful.

As for what NGC will do? They might dip it for you and make it blast white. However, the prints are likely etched in the coin and they would tell you the coin is fine as is and return it to you like this.

--------------------

- Greg, Official Message Board Ambassador™

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif greg nailed this too bullseye

michael

i have seen many many threads on ngc and pcgs boards on coins that have problems that are in high grade holders

and the only consistant thing is that most all of them have been in 893whatthe.gifteletrade frustrated.gifauctions devil.gif

michael

Thanks to all for the info...I was not sure how fingerprints effected the "future" grade of a coin...Everyone says "Buy the coin, not the holder" so I was wondering how this kind of situation would be viewed in the market.

Also makes me wonder how long it will be before prints start showing up on my certified coins? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Thanks again...I really enjoy the board and have learned a lot! hail.gif

buy the coin not the holder yes yes yes yes

and for me i really do not know or care how this coin/situation would be viewed in the market

but i caN TELL you this for sure this coin would NOT or ever be for me and my collection ..........if i had a collection

only buy great coins with extraspecial eye appeal but this assumes that the coins you buy within your speciality are fantastic great coins and YOU KNOW EXACTLY HOW TO TELL THE GREAT ONES FROM THE [#@$%!!!]AND/OR AVERAGe coins

if it does not have superb monster killer eye appeal and or other extraspecial qualities then do not buy it for your collection

then you never have to worry as you do not have any crappy coins

michael

For some reason, the TPGs don't downgrade a coin for fingerprints. Personally, I wouldn't buy a coin with a print like that one. An extreme example was a 1797 Bust $ I saw in MS 66 slabbed by one of the majors. It had a print like this one. Though most people oohed and aahed about the coin, I thought it was ugly and was not interested, even if I could have afforded it.

I looked at Teletrade once for ten minutes, and was amazed by all of the incredibly ugly coins I saw on their site. To this day, I wonder why any collector would bid on this stuff.