• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is some modern proof coin toning uneven but genuine? (NOW WITH PICTURES)

7 posts in this topic

I have seen a few examples of modern toned proof coins that have made it past pcgs and our host even though they are unevenly toned and the colors do not blend. What causes the uneven toning? I recently purchased a 1971 proof set with an amazingly double sided toned cent. Sorry, the spacing is so odd...

71ProofSetCenObv_zps47cba589.png

71ProofSetCentObv_zpsd77f8eaf.png

The only way you are going to get anywhere on this question is if you have some pics for examples of exactly what you are talking about.

I disagree. Even without images, the answer to the question posed ("Is some modern proof coin toning uneven but genuine?") is an easy "yes". A great many coins, both modern and older ones, display uneven toning that is natural. One frequent cause is storage in albums.

What causes the uneven toning?

The same thing that causes even toning, exposure to environmental conditions. Either the exposure was uneven or there were surface contaminates that prevented even exposure from acting evenly.

The only way you are going to get anywhere on this question is if you have some pics for examples of exactly what you are talking about.

I disagree. Even without images, the answer to the question posed ("Is some modern proof coin toning uneven but genuine?") is an easy "yes". A great many coins, both modern and older ones, display uneven toning that is natural. One frequent cause is storage in albums.

I understand clearly what you are saying.... and I agree that the answer is yes, with or without pics. Last night when I read this, I took the question of, "what causes this uneven toning", and I thought, well if there was a picture of the uneven toning he is talking about, someone could possibly identify how it was causes.

Thank you for keeping us on our toes Mark.... ;)

Uneven airflow I think it is the most common reason...

If you look through Capital holders you will find coins/sets in these holders where there might be a missing screw and some times you will see toning on a coin(s) closest to the missing screw since this is where the flow of air across the surface of the coin will be strongest.

Thank you