• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JJ, in regards to that CNG coin we were discussing PM

29 posts in this topic

JJ, I got an e-mail back saying the offer would be reviewed by Victor England when he returns Jan 3.

Any news yet? juggle.gif

-JamminJ

Ya know JJ, i'm really torn on buying this coin. I think I'll wait for a better example, but who knows when it comes along. If one does come along, I could always sell this one. I know you think the one on ebay that sold for $190.00 was a better coin, I disagree for a few reasons. Maybe I should just flip a coin.

These are always tough decisions. For me usually it comes down to what's holding me back, the coin or the price?

If I find a coin that's significantly better than any other I've seen for sale (or are likely to see) then I'm willing to stretch a bit money wise. Alternately, if I'm thinking of an upgrade before even buying the current one I usually pass.

-JamminJ

Well, I've been thinking. Since I started Crusaders, this is the 3rd example I have found, anywhere. There was a better example I posted here that I did bid on, but I'm glad I didn't win because it had several scratches not mentioned in the auction, the second example you saw on ebay, and this one. So lets say maybe around 8 of these come into the market each year. Somewhat rare coin imo.

Well hell, I purchased it. I'm a bit surprised CNG doesn't have secure ordering by CC on their website. Guess I'll have to call tomorrow to give it to them. The determining factor in buying it was the fact, as I said, only a few turn up each year, and I like the patina w/earthen highlights. If I ever upgrade, I should be able to get most of my money back, if not all.

Ya know, what do you think a US coin would bring that only has 8 or so examples appearing in the market each year? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Depends on the series. Something dead like shield nickels might not bring much at all. Something popular in you're talking moon money!

-JamminJ

Ya know, what do you think a US coin would bring that only has 8 or so examples appearing in the market each year? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Depends on the series. Something dead like shield nickels might not bring much at all. Something popular in you're talking moon money!

-JamminJ

You're a nut job JJ. makepoint.gif Take, for instance, the 1867 with rays (T1) shield that just sold for 95 grand. Two of those have sold in a year to my recollection and there are about 20 out there.

Don't EVER unwittingly attack nickels again. sumo.gif

screwy.gif Hoot yeahok.gif

You're a nut job JJ. makepoint.gif Take, for instance, the 1867 with rays (T1) shield that just sold for 95 grand. Two of those have sold in a year to my recollection and there are about 20 out there.

Isn't that the one where according to the pop report, more have been graded by one sevrice than were minted. 27_laughing.gif

Don't EVER unwittingly attack nickels again. sumo.gif

screwy.gif Hoot yeahok.gif

A actually like shield nickels.

Besides, Thing asked for my opinion of a US coin where eight came up for sale in a year. Since there are only four collectors of shield nickels in the world I think the prices would be weak indeed.

stooges.gif

-JamminJ

Isn't that the one where according to the pop report, more have been graded by one sevrice than were minted. 27_laughing.gif

Yup. insane.gif

A actually like shield nickels.

Besides, Thing asked for my opinion of a US coin where eight came up for sale in a year. Since there are only four collectors of shield nickels in the world I think the prices would be weak indeed.

Okay, so I can't count. But I think you should prvide a variance for the number of collectors, e.g., 4 ± 6. Given the probability (≤0.32) of there being either 0, -1, or -2 collectors of shield nickels, it means that there a significant chance that nobody is actually buying ANY shield nickels, and the sales records (as well as the population reports) are completely deceptive and intended to dupe any would-be shield nickel collectors out of their money should they enter the "market." And now that I've defeated my original point, I'll claim (rather boldly) that the Thing doesn't really exist. He is a computer-generated "Elvis" of sorts, created by the auction houses in order to generate some would-be enthusiasm about Crusader coinage and other obscure bubblegum-like coins. boo.gif He brings up dreadful example, comparing hypothetical prices of highly-demanded U.S. coins to little chips of metal that someone with a sense of humor years and years ago stamped an inscription on. The whole premise is a mess. And so is this post. insane.gif

stooges.gif Hoot stooges.gif

acclaim.gif

Okay, so I can't count. But I think you should prvide a variance for the number of collectors, e.g., 4 ± 6. Given the probability (≤0.32) of there being either 0, -1, or -2 collectors of shield nickels, it means that there a significant chance that nobody is actually buying ANY shield nickels, and the sales records (as well as the population reports) are completely deceptive and intended to dupe any would-be shield nickel collectors out of their money should they enter the "market." And now that I've defeated my original point, I'll claim (rather boldly) that the Thing doesn't really exist. He is a computer-generated "Elvis" of sorts, created by the auction houses in order to generate some would-be enthusiasm about Crusader coinage and other obscure bubblegum-like coins. boo.gif He brings up dreadful example, comparing hypothetical prices of highly-demanded U.S. coins to little chips of metal that someone with a sense of humor years and years ago stamped an inscription on. The whole premise is a mess. And so is this post. insane.gif

stooges.gif Hoot stooges.gif

acclaim.gif

Touche! 27_laughing.gif

-JamminJ

it means that there a significant chance that nobody is actually buying ANY shield nickels, and the sales records (as well as the population reports) are completely deceptive and intended to dupe any would-be shield nickel collectors out of their money should they enter the "market."

FYI, I have long though of putting together a set of Shield Nickels. All I wanted was well struck, highly lusterous, and brilliant examples without any signs of die cracks or marks on the shield, in MS64-65 grades. Other than that, no other real requirements.

I'll claim (rather boldly) that the Thing doesn't really exist. He is a computer-generated "Elvis" of sorts, created by the auction houses in order to generate some would-be enthusiasm about Crusader coinage and other obscure bubblegum-like coins

893naughty-thumb.gif

FYI, I have long though of putting together a set of Shield Nickels. All I wanted was well struck, highly lusterous, and brilliant examples without any signs of die cracks or marks on the shield, in MS64-65 grades. Other than that, no other real requirements.

Do you plan on putting this set together before or after implimenting your plan for world peace? Next thing you say is that you're interested in finding attractive Barber coins. 27_laughing.gif

-JamminJ

Do you plan on putting this set together before or after implimenting your plan for world peace? Next thing you say is that you're interested in finding attractive Barber coins. 27_laughing.gif

-JamminJ

Precisely. I think I'd be awaiting the arrival of Santa first.

Now what's this about attractive Barbers?

Hoot

You know JJ, sometimes life is funny...

web page

yea, I'm quoting myself. I thought "damned", I should of waited on my purchase because of that coin. I copied the jpg, lightened it and enlarged it. There are some pretty good scratches next to Mean Dude's face. Scratches are a deal killer 100% of the time for me.

You know JJ, sometimes life is funny...

web page

yea, I'm quoting myself. I thought "damned", I should of waited on my purchase because of that coin. I copied the jpg, lightened it and enlarged it. There are some pretty good scratches next to Mean Dude's face. Scratches are a deal killer 100% of the time for me.

I see them there off to the right of Mean Dude's head. I like the one from CNG better.

-JamminJ

Hey JJ, got the coin in today. Looks even better in hand. Green patina with orange earthen highlights, looks cool and funky. No scratches or tooling. Nice thick coin. The sword is visible also, which wasn't in CNG's image. There is a lot of fine detail visible.