• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blazing Blue Toned Mint Set Dime: Break it out or not???

28 posts in this topic

I bought the set for around 25 bucks Other coins in set are untoned, nothing special. The bright blue color covers most of the coin. (the pictures are not great) Is this one high grade enough to be valuable? IMG_1034_zpsd7102b5f.png

IMG_1032_zps18287927.png

Thanks for the opinions,

Dante

It's still a very common coin. The only way that gets broken out and graded without a financial loss is if it's coloring is wicked different and multiple colors. Being just blue is nice to look at but not going to sell for much.

It is what it is.

Colors like that are semi-common on proofs of that era. I'd leave it as-is personally, but hey, do what makes you happy.

It's not a proof. It's a 1962-D...

Recently a blue 1962-P NGC MS66 sold on EBay for a best offer price - the asking price was $65.00. There are a couple of others with BINs between $30-$80.

You noted asking prices, not sales. And you need to consider postage and grading fees.

Recently a blue 1962-P NGC MS66 sold on EBay for a best offer price - the asking price was $65.00. There are a couple of others with BINs between $30-$80.

You noted asking prices, not sales. And you need to consider postage and grading fees.

Re-read my posts - I never said he should get it graded. I just posted what I have learned from tracking prices of toned coins on EBay.

I cant tell from the poor photos posted whether he should get the coin graded.

On certain specials, a coin sent in with a group by an entity with privilege to do so, the cost could be less than $3.00 for the whole affair. there is a Dealer that does this as a service to his customers, and he benefits also. When the coins come back, the cost is evenly split.

On certain specials, a coin sent in with a group by an entity with privilege to do so, the cost could be less than $3.00 for the whole affair. there is a Dealer that does this as a service to his customers, and he benefits also. When the coins come back, the cost is evenly split.

The odds of that coin being eligible for grading at anywhere near that price level are incredibly remote.

Re-read my posts - I never said he should get it graded. I just posted what I have learned from tracking prices of toned coins on EBay.

I see no need to re-read your post. :devil:

Listing asking prices, rather than actual sales, doesn't tell us much - sorry.

If you want to keep it for your collection grade away...as far as making a profit having it graded and selling....you would really need to get it in a 67 holder to justify the costs associated with grading as 66's are just to common even with nice toning.

I wasnt trying to tell you anything. You're a dealer. You know far more than anyone else, including myself. I was just trying to offer some friendly information to a newbie.

I wasnt trying to tell you anything. You're a dealer. You know far more than anyone else, including myself. I was just trying to offer some friendly information to a newbie.

M, you can do better than that. ;)

The odds of that coin being eligible for grading at anywhere near that price level are incredibly remote.

I think you may be answering 2 Posts.

My Post is about what the it would cost to get the coin graded by a TPG. I am not talking about the actual worth of the coin. If the person wants it graded, he can do so for a few dollars under the right circumstances, postage included. That is the consideration portion of your postage and grading fees comment. What it sells for, who knows. That is the Post above mine and not my comment.

My Post is about what the it would cost to get the coin graded by a TPG. I am not talking about the actual worth of the coin. If the person wants it graded, he can do so for a few dollars under the right circumstances, postage included. That is the consideration portion of your postage and grading fees comment. What it sells for, who knows. That is the Post above mine and not my comment.

I know of no way to get this coin graded for a few dollars...even if there is some sort of bulk grading the cost will most certainly be more than a few dollars so I have to agree with Mark but if you know some secret method that we don't then more power to ya (thumbs u

I know of no way to get this coin graded for a few dollars...even if there is some sort of bulk grading the cost will most certainly be more than a few dollars so I have to agree with Mark but if you know some secret method that we don't then more power to ya (thumbs u

I say stuff like this all the time. Ignore it. I should have known others would figure out I tell tall tales, and call me on it.

Sorry. I won't do it again, or post dumb things.

I say stuff like this all the time. Ignore it. I should have known others would figure out I tell tall tales, and call me on it.

Sorry. I won't do it again, or post dumb things.

What's with the depressive tone?

If you could find someone else with pieces of 5 or so date/mint mark combinations, and submitted in a quantity of 100, then yes, a bulk discount could be available. I must agree that Mark and Shane are correct that it is unlikely you are going to find someone to partner with for something like that, but it could theoretically happen. It wouldn't be the first time I have been wrong.

Edit: Also, I think the bulk services are a bit more expensive than $3-$4 though.

bulk services are at least $8 per coin. you must submit at least 100 of the same series/type of coin...... and unlike a regular submission where you number your flips based on the numbers on the invoice and submit them that way where they are all kept track of, bulk requires you to submit coins in rolls. so, lets say you did find someone who is submitting over 100 business strike roosevelts which is unlikely at best, you would have no way of keeping track of which ones were yours from which were theres. Probably wouldn't be a problem on the colored one, since it would be fairly obvious.. my opinion is that it isn't worth grading, the color looks unnatractive to me, I personally do not think it would grade, and that they would call that "environmental damage".

Good luck though.

bulk services are at least $8 per coin. you must submit at least 100 of the same series/type of coin...... and unlike a regular submission where you number your flips based on the numbers on the invoice and submit them that way where they are all kept track of, bulk requires you to submit coins in rolls. so, lets say you did find someone who is submitting over 100 business strike roosevelts which is unlikely at best, you would have no way of keeping track of which ones were yours from which were theres. Probably wouldn't be a problem on the colored one, since it would be fairly obvious.. my opinion is that it isn't worth grading, the color looks unnatractive to me, I personally do not think it would grade, and that they would call that "environmental damage".

Good luck though.

It's really a nice color, crappy photos. But Environmental Damage? It's in an unopened mint set.

It's really a nice color, crappy photos. But Environmental Damage? It's in an unopened mint set.

The photo seems to show some dark toning. If toning has become too dark (black) it can cross over from toning to damage. In essence all toning is damage to a coin's surface. Its a layer of chemicals on the surface. If the coin is left in the environment that caused the toning eventually all toning becomes black. Depending on the shade/color variations in the black it could beautiful or it could be ugly and called environmental damage.

Honestly if you want better answers to your questions, post better photos. Your coin might have wonderful multicolor toning that makes the coin pop - if it does then I think everyone would agree that getting it graded would make sense for resale purposes.

Graded toned coins are far more marketable then ungraded toned coins. And they will also bring higher prices at the time of sale. Are there exceptions to this "rule" - yes - and it will depend on the beauty of the toning.

So post some better photos and we can really see how beautiful this coin is... because beauty is in the eye of the beholder but some beauty is recognized by all.

Better how ? I was being serious. You know more about coins than just about every collector. My general knowledge could never match yours. This is your profession. It is my hobby.

I am sorry if you thought my post was in some way disrespectful to you. I hold you in the highest esteem in this industry. You are one of the most ethical people I have ever met in and outside the coin business.

Perhaps my posts were misleading but I didnt post anything untrue. It is a common coin. It will sell for a premium with nice toning. And I just posted some asking prices. I never said his coin was worth slabbing nor did I say his coin would sell for those prices. I suppose I should have been more clear.

Better how ? I was being serious. You know more about coins than just about every collector. My general knowledge could never match yours. This is your profession. It is my hobby.

I am sorry if you thought my post was in some way disrespectful to you. I hold you in the highest esteem in this industry. You are one of the most ethical people I have ever met in and outside the coin business.

Perhaps my posts were misleading but I didnt post anything untrue. It is a common coin. It will sell for a premium with nice toning. And I just posted some asking prices. I never said his coin was worth slabbing nor did I say his coin would sell for those prices. I suppose I should have been more clear.

M, thank you and please accept my apologies for not having been clear. I was speaking about your posting asking prices, rather than prices realized. The latter is potentially far more helpful and that is why I said you could do better.