• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Silver Dime Received in Change!

7 posts in this topic

Over the past few years, I've read the numerous "silver received in change" posts with a certain amount of jealousy.

Not any more!

Today at lunchtime, I bought some Post-It Notes at the Staples next to my office. I received 74 cents in change: two quarters, two dimes and four cents. As usual, I just put the coins in my pocket, because I never get anything interesting in change.

This afternoon, while waiting for the copier to finish spitting out a print job, I idly checked my change again.

Much to my surprise, one of the dimes was a 1963!

What a nice way to end the week. :grin:

Very cool!! It's really fun finding silver in circulation..

One of the (very few) things I like about my job is that I have to fill up (mid-day) and close (at the end of the night) the cash registers (3 of them). so get to look for silver, wheat cents and anything interesting that came in during the day, and buy it from the register at face value. I've also "trained" my friends at work to put aside anything that looks strange or special.

I've gotten tons of wheat cents, lots of silver, some nice paper money, and some really cool foreign material. I have an envelope I fill up with these things and empty at the end of each week.

this is what I got this week so far (slow week!):

F88E3864-7EC1-4194-B4F4-B8664E8D5A93_zpspdq2z45h.jpg

The foreign coin is a 1998 Norway 5 Kroner, with a face value of about $0.80. Nothing special..

I have a very we'll paying job these days, enough where I can buy all the circulated silver coins I could ever want....but quite often I think back to my days running a cash register at a gas station and getting to search stuff all day long!

Nice find! Congrats!

Unlikely that coin circulated all that time. Probably some kid got into his dad's coin collection/silver stash or a burglar is spending some coins he that he stole from someone's home.

Unlikely that coin circulated all that time. Probably some kid got into his dad's coin collection/silver stash or a burglar is spending some coins he that he stole from someone's home.

When I worked at a pizza parlor (30 years ago or more) that's EXACTLY where much of the stuff I found came from. Some kids would come in and sell me some Franklins for a few bucks so they could play the video games in the store. I never really considered where they got them until one day this one brat told me took it from his dads collection. I then felt a bit bad about it so I quit buying that stuff...I wasn't all that interested anyway at the time.

I don't think I've found a legit silver coin in change in 40 years....at least none I can remember. Wheat cents...all of the time...just the other day in fact...but silver? Nope.

jom