• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1924 D Lincoln cent. Looking for opinions on grade.

28 posts in this topic

Hello. I have this 24D Lincoln. I have about zero experience with grading cents, and my eye just doesn't seem to know copper yet. That said, based on what I can figure by looking/comparing to pics and such, it seems to me like it is at least a 35. I would love some opinions on where you think this coin would grade if I did send it in.... (probably wont, just wondering where its at).

Thank you in advance.

20140725_125239-1_zps513d48d5.jpg

20140725_125256-1_zpsf757001e.jpg

20140725_125110-1_zps1b381a5d.jpg

20140725_125142-1_zps6d5c5a57.jpg

20140725_125052-1_zpsf96dbe2a.jpg

20140725_125035-1_zps06fc978c.jpg

AH, I like it. Are you wanting to sell it? If not, I wouldn't grade it. For the market, it's about a $75 coin, the way I see it. I'd put a VF35 on it. It's a nice, solid, circulated example, in a shape consistent with its age.

Thanks all for the opinions, I wasn't really quite sure what to do with it when I posted it here yesterday, but as of now I am going to head on over to the money marketplace, and list it for sale...

THanks again.

Chris.

Oh, and one other question, as far as the reply stating that there was "verdigris" on the obverse, I am relatively familiar with verdigris, and I am pretty sure that isn't verdigris.... any verdigris I have seen is green, looks almost comparable to mold growing on the coin.... What is on this coin here is what I would consider grime that is common from circulation, I am pretty sure its the same type of stuff I've seen on circulated silver coins from the era.

Does anyone else think its verdigris? Does verdigris ever appear more brown looking than green???

Thanks again.

"...a $75 coin..."

You must be joking....

A dealer at a show told me he would pay me $50 on it over a year ago.... So, I sort of thought he was being serious...

"...a $75 coin..."

You must be joking....

A dealer at a show told me he would pay me $50 on it over a year ago.... So, I sort of thought he was being serious...

I was being sincere. Perhaps RWB got it mixed up with the 1914-D. That one doesn't have a 2 in it, that's one way you tell. :grin:

No, I read it correctly -- I figured it was an EF worth about $10

Lincolns aren't nearly as cheap as they used to be.

I think it is mostly due to the fact that I have become addicted to nice brown ones.

No, I read it correctly -- I figured it was an EF worth about $10

Oh. Well if it can go F12 in PCGS plastic PCGS says it's talking $42 retail, and at EF40, $100 retail.

But...I don't care about plastic. Only the coin has any collector value. If someone wants to put it into a plastic case, that's fine, but I would not reimburse them for that expense.

On that basis, maybe my $10 guess is closer than I realized.

But...I don't care about plastic. Only the coin has any collector value. If someone wants to put it into a plastic case, that's fine, but I would not reimburse them for that expense.

On that basis, maybe my $10 guess is closer than I realized.

Oh, I see, you're one of those guys who still collects coins, lol. Really, just grade it, look it up in the price guide, knock off the price of admission into the slab, and you got it.

I thought I'd bring this back to the top.

I took some more pics, although the original ones were pretty good.

I stand by my original 30 grade but it is a nice one. Few hits and nice surfaces.

Perfect for the album. Thanks to the OP.

1924-dlincolnobv_zps062950e5.jpg

1924-dlincolnrev_zpsfbd15df5.jpg

I took some more pics, although the original ones were pretty good.

LMAO @ original pics being good..... lol... Seriously though, your pics are amazing man... I feel like I can finally see what I was trying to look for/see in the first place.

Awesome job.

I am glad you are happy with the purchase my friend.

Chris.