• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1915 $2 1/2 Indian

43 posts in this topic

I too like the card as a great historical note but the card contains a valuable gold coin. If it were me I would take some good pictures and then get it stabbed. The historical value would not be lost with some nice pics showing the origin.

I too like the card as a great historical note but the card contains a valuable gold coin. If it were me I would take some good pictures and then get it stabbed. The historical value would not be lost with some nice pics showing the origin.

I agree. But I mean it's not like you are throwing the card away so i don't know why people wouldn't want to slab it.

The coin of itself is neither, special, rare nor valuable -- it's only meaningful value is its direct association with the inscribed card. When given, the thing was worth $2.50. People evidently decided to keep it together for family reasons, which now are apparently subsumed to a few dollars.

I'd buy the thing at a premium to the coin, but only as-is and not bumped around and reinserted in the the card.

Valuable is of course relative to the person. A $3-400 gold coin was not something I could afford as a kid when I started collecting and I guess I still think in those terms when I write valuable.

A slabbed coin with the note as part of the sale (and the pictures) would add a premium in my opinion if it were to be sold. What a great story.

To each his own though.

The coin of itself is neither, special, rare nor valuable -- it's only meaningful value is its direct association with the inscribed card. When given, the thing was worth $2.50. People evidently decided to keep it together for family reasons, which now are apparently subsumed to a few dollars.

I'd buy the thing at a premium to the coin, but only as-is and not bumped around and reinserted in the the card.

I only disagree with the point of this coin is not special. To me every coin is special

Valuable is of course relative to the person. A $3-400 gold coin was not something I could afford as a kid when I started collecting and I guess I still think in those terms when I write valuable.

A slabbed coin with the note as part of the sale (and the pictures) would add a premium in my opinion if it were to be sold. What a great story.

To each his own though.

To me any type of additional piece is a great addition to any item. But I like the slab for its preservation, peace of mind, and a great display case. I know the card it came in is good but I want to have a great display case but also it's in a safe environment

In a slab, even with the card and a letter from Wally Breen, I'd pay nothing special for the grouping. Context is important in historical matters, and removing the coin, breaks the only direct link.

So, the question of self-interest is: do the owners want more money or a piece of plastic?

I'd also get it graded. To me, the card is only important to the giver and the receiver. It makes no difference to me that someone I don't know, nor will ever know, was once given this coin as a gift. Therefore it has no sentimental value to me.

Now, if that was something from my families past, indeed it would have value to me, but in this case, nadda. If the family wants to sell the coin, have it graded by NGC or PCGS.

The card with the inserted coin is more than a piece of "former" family sentiment. It is one of a diminishing group of cultural artifacts that illustrate a period of American history that is largely alien to modern Americans. It is sad that something interesting is being lost for the value of a few dollars - especially when the owners could have realized more money for the complete, undamaged relic.

Enough said by me.

The card with the inserted coin is more than a piece of "former" family sentiment. It is one of a diminishing group of cultural artifacts that illustrate a period of American history that is largely alien to modern Americans. It is sad that something interesting is being lost for the value of a few dollars - especially when the owners could have realized more money for the complete, undamaged relic.

Enough said by me.

As much as I appreciate the item, I see no basis for your assertion that it would realize more money for "the complete, undamaged relic". And I pretty much feel the same way as a previous poster, who stated:

"I'd also get it graded. To me, the card is only important to the giver and the receiver. It makes no difference to me that someone I don't know, nor will ever know, was once given this coin as a gift. Therefore it has no sentimental value to me.

Now, if that was something from my families past, indeed it would have value to me, but in this case, nadda. If the family wants to sell the coin, have it graded by NGC or PCGS."

In a slab, even with the card and a letter from Wally Breen, I'd pay nothing special for the grouping. Context is important in historical matters, and removing the coin, breaks the only direct link.

So, the question of self-interest is: do the owners want more money or a piece of plastic?

If it was me I pay for the plastic. If I was selling the card and the coin not knowing if it was genuine and if I sold it and it was found to be fake I would feel really bad.

The card can be saved and a 1915 G$2.50 popped into it at any time and nobody will ever know any different. Perhaps the empty card could be put on eBay so this can be done.

Or maybe it already has............... :)

"The card can be saved and a 1915 G$2.50 popped into it at any time and nobody will ever know any different."

There are multiple indicators that a coin has been removed, then replaced or reinserted.

BTW - if the coin were a contemporary fake, that would be even better.

But -- it is only a matter of conjecture since the OP says the coin is going be "anonymized."

Typically, about 500,000 QE were sent out each November and December for use as gifts. Subtresuries and FRBs requested new coins. Leftovers and returns from merchant banks went back in January and February each year. Any request out of this time period would yield whatever the local bank happened to have available.