• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Continental dollar on Ebay posted by Skeester

4 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Thought better, but could I have been wrong?

Sold on Ebay yesterday for $380. I wondered about the pitting first off. Was this environmental damage? I did a little research on this coin and it being struck in pewter, and the others that I did see that did have environmental damage did not look like this.Also, I did ask if there was writing on the side...or the word copy, and the seller said no. But is there a different type of environmental damage that could have caused this? A few years back, I did buy a 1943 copper off Ebay...it was copper, but counterfeit. Always nice to give the secret service a call to pick up a penny and Ebay to withdrawal the funds back from the seller!

15600.JPG

See more journals by Skeester

I have something that looks remarkably like your photo. I don't recall where I got it - perhaps a coin show or some historical park, maybe 40 years ago. I know it's not genuine. It is not as detailed as the real thing. Seeing your post, I'll have to try to find it again after all these years!

- time passes -

I found it. It does actually look similar in terms of the overall appearance, but has grown some crud inside its 2x2, and it has a couple flaws yours does not. And as I wrote earlier, for an unworn looking piece, it just doesn't have the detail that a real example would have. Compare with auction archive photos at Heritage. It's a neat little thing to have, but I would be shocked if it's worth even 1% of that $380.

Alan

This is an obvious fake, not worth $3.80. Why?

1. Mushy details

2. Font is too thick

3. Has appearance of a cast counterfeit

4.Edge is wrong

When in doubt...STOP, either call someone who knows or look at the coin on Heritage Auction archives.