• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beginner Question on Certification - Thaler

8 posts in this topic

[font:Century Gothic]I'm new to coin collecting and have a question about certification/grading. To provide some background context, I purchased a large coin which contains fine art on both sides of the coin. The idea of having this coin graded seems disagreeable to me. I'm wondering if there is an available service that authenticates coins without having to place the coin in a "tamper proof" plastic casing. Is it even worth it to have a coin authenticated?[/font]

Welcome to the forums.

The idea of having this coin graded seems disagreeable to me.

Why is that?

I'm wondering if there is an available service that authenticates coins without having to place the coin in a "tamper proof" plastic casing.

You could take it to a local coin shop for their opinion. That's probably the cheapest and easiest option. But if you're planning on selling it, the buyer is going to want proof that the authentication and coin belong together, which is the whole point of the tamper proof slabs. If the authentication label is just in a plastic flip or whatever, there'd be no way to prove that you didn't switch the coin for another.

Is it even worth it to have a coin authenticated?

If you're planning on selling it, the value of the coin would have to exceed the cost of getting it graded to make it worth your time. (Check out NGC's homepage for a list of service fees) But really, if you're brand new to coin collecting, I think your best bet is to take it to a reputable coin shop in your area for their opinion. NGC has a way to search for authorized dealers on their websites. PCGS probably does too, but I don't know for sure.

Can you post a pic of the coin?

welcome to the forums

can i offer a suggestion? as you might Know many are concerned with authenticity and grading

and i see you like your art form to be able to held in your hand with just the coin

well why dont you send it to ngc for authenticiation and grading? IF IT COMES BACK IN A GRADED HOLDER THEN YOU KNOW IT IS GENUINE accourding to the experts at ngc and they carry huge weight in the marketplace also if it gets straight graded say xf 45 au55 ms 63 well you know the coin's grade opinion from 2-3 experts at ngc along with an agreement by a finalizer well respected for their opinions in the industry

after you get it back it has a lifetime guarantee of authenticity and grade

sooooooooooooooooooooooooo

now that you know for sure and your mind is settled CRACK THE COIN OUT AND KEEP IT RAW THE WAY YOU LIKE IT

OF COURSE NO MORE GUARANTEES BY NGC AS IT IS OUT OF THE HOLDER SO ALL BETS ARE OFF BUT AT LEAST +++++YOU++++ KNOW IT IS GENUINE AND WITH NO PROBLEMS PER SE AND WHAT THEIR GRADE IS

THEN YOU CAN ENJOY YOUR COIN AND REST MORE EASILY

I TOTALLY UNDERSTAND AS MY FRIEND DOES THIS AND THE COIN IS STILL THE SAME COIN IN OR OUT OF A HOLDER AND WITH A COIN LIKE THIS I DONT THINK THE VALUE IS DECREASED MUCH IF AT ALL IF THE COIN GRADES BELOW AU55-- i am assuming here it is a leo the hog mouth thaler not a super rare date

NOW AN MS 63 64 65 COIN BROKEN OUT OF THE HOLDER LETS ASSUME A LEOPOLD THE HOG MOUTH THALER not a super rare date THEN YES THE VALUE IS DECREASED IN THE MARKETPLACE UNLESS YOU CAN GET IT BACK IN THE MS HOLDER as now you are talking thousands of dollars

I CANT ANSWER FOR SURE OR AT LEAST TO A MORAL CERTAINITY UNLESS I SEE THIS PARTICULAR COIN IN HAND SIGHT SEEN

BUT THE ABOVE IS MY OPINION BASED ON YOUR INFORMATION GIVEN TO ME

AND IT GETS YOU THINKING

HAVE FUN WITH THAT GREAT HISTORICAL COIN AND AGAIN WELCOME TO THE BOARDS (thumbs u

Can you post a pic of the coin?

Here's one side of the coin, which I believe is a German version of the Imperial Eagle of the Holy Roman Empire.

CVThaler1.jpg

i see you like your art form to be able to held in your hand with just the coin

well why dont you send it to ngc for authenticiation and grading?

I want to be able to hold the coin and look at it more closely (and I assume the next owner would too). Isn't it true that when the coin is graded, you can never again handle the coin? In my opinion, an expert could write a detailed opinion regarding the coin, noting several attributes of the particular coin, which would make it very difficult to have a mismatching certification.

ngc only puts basic information on the holder date grade and demonination maybe a variety # too but i dont know for sure

for a detailed explaination of your specific coin you would need to take it to an acknowledged expert in the field and have him agree to do something like this for you

you could easily crack the coin out of the holder and keep it raw with the original tag

good luck

the Imperial Eagle of the Holy Roman Empire.

Yes, the double-headed eagle is a quite common symbol that can be dated as far back as Hittites. It was used by the Holy Roman Empire, among many others throughout history to represent different things.

In my opinion, an expert could write a detailed opinion regarding the coin, noting several attributes of the particular coin, which would make it very difficult to have a mismatching certification.

I guess it's possible. But the standard really is (at least for now) to have coins encased by a third-party grading company. Encasing coins also ensures the preservation of the coin's grade.

Is this the coin?

http://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/german-states-nurnberg-thaler-km-350-1765-1780-cuid-82050-duid-222954