• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Honest Abe is purple!!

17 posts in this topic

I saw this one on the CU boards, and I think it's spectacular. coppercoins said he thought it was "messed with" but I have to disagree. I've seen a few proof IHCs and a couple of early proof Lincolns that had that same fetching purple tone. Matte proof pieces just tone intensely, and that piece appears natural and beautiful to me. It's in an NGC slab as a PF65 BN, yes?

Hoot

it aint purple purple is usually always AT but i get your drift

looks original envelope toned to me and most all to all matte proofs where stored this way and issued this way in envelopes

usually this is rare to look like this with

even blueish/violet toning both sides

but it does happen

also see how there is rose mixed in with the blueish/violet coloration? especially so the reverse

well this is usually the way they come with these blueish/violet toned proofs

and i have seen many like this over decades and they all have this same "look" and coloration with the added rose/ light rose highlights

a superb coin

michael

It's spectacular! I have the matching coin in PCGS PF65BN, but mine is a 1912.

I initially thought maybe you sold your coin Tom when I looked at these images. I wasn't paying attention to the date!

Gorgeous!

Thanks guys.

Hoot, yes it is the same as I posted across the street. I go buy COHODK over there- just to keep with the fish theme.

TomB, when I first saw a pic of your 1912 about a year ago I thought it was the most amazing Lincoln I had ever seen. I had been looking for one similiar ever since. Believe it or not, I paid less for this one than I did the 1913 you sold me. What a steal. grin.gif If your 1912 ever gets lonely and wants a new home then you have my address devil.gif

Yes, it is a nice matte proof. I like the color too. I saw it first over at the CU boards. The trouble there is you have too many people posting there who know little about coins. Some saw this coin and attacked it there.

You got a tremendous deal on that 1910 matte proof, even if you had paid significantly more! thumbsup2.gif It's funny, I was going to send you a PM that stated much what you have written; that is, you have my address and if you ever want to sell the coin you should ship it to me. smile.gif I also noticed some of the posts at PCGS and I can tell that those who went after the coin didn't know its true character. This piece is essentially brown when looked at straight on, but the color flashes off strongly when it is tilted somewhat.

Here is mine for those not familiar with it, it is a 1912 in a PCGS PF65BN holder

600_CL12PCGSPF65BN.jpg

These coins are mind numbing! Matte and satin proof coins have always been my favorite proof coinage, and these pieces confirm my preference! Truly amazing!

Hoot

yes these proofs are usually the most deep chocolate brown coloring and really rich looking then when tilted you see the blue come alive as the blue sits on top of the chocolate brown and the higher points of the coin are usually chocolate brown color

again as such this is how they come hence they are totally original coins

michael

You got a tremendous deal on that 1910 matte proof, even if you had paid significantly more! thumbsup2.gif It's funny, I was going to send you a PM that stated much what you have written; that is, you have my address and if you ever want to sell the coin you should ship it to me. smile.gif I also noticed some of the posts at PCGS and I can tell that those who went after the coin didn't know its true character. This piece is essentially brown when looked at straight on, but the color flashes off strongly when it is tilted somewhat.

Here is mine for those not familiar with it, it is a 1912 in a PCGS PF65BN holder

600_CL12PCGSPF65BN.jpg

A very nice and familiar old friend cool.gif