• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Images

13 posts in this topic

WOW

Shylock did a great job but he had great subjects to work with. Congrats to you both. 893applaud-thumb.gif

My favorites:

49 Oh so frosty

54 WOW

62 Yummy

66 Delicious

71-cc Shocking

72 Im getting hungry

73 Im passing out

I am much more intimate with the SD set than I am with the TD one. I can honestly say that holding the coins in my hand sent chills up and down my spine. Hard as it may seem to anyone -- including myself -- I actually got bored looking at so many fine specimens. It's kind of like when you have to judge a beauty contest, and the contestants all kind of run together after a while.

Here are the coins that stick out the most for me, emotionally:

* 1840, no insult intended toward TDN's Fairfield specimen, but I would love to compare my coin to it to see the actual qualitative differences are between the two coins. TDN has seen my coin. If he remembers mine well enough, I would be happy with his honest opinion.

* 1861, TDN's acquisition of which freed up the undergrade which actually has sentimental value to me.

* 1866, the Hayes specimen, I had desired and chased before I could easily afford it. Then it passed beyond my reach.

* 1870, a buddy got it from the dealer before I could and refused to sell it to me for a quick profit. Sold it to TDN under much more favorable conditions to the previous owner.

* 1870-S, I strongly recommend TDN to disinfect the slab ASAP if he hasn't already done so.

* 1873-CC, I didn't even recognize the coin as that date when I saw it. It simply does not look like any other known 73-CC. Non pareil, as the French say.

Of the few TD's in his set that I know, I am most moved by the 74-CC. I saw it raw at the latest auction appearance and almost cried because it was so beautiful. Much more than a tad better than mine!!!

EVP

Personally, my favorite coin is the 1848. It's a perfect combination of low mintage, grade rarity and provenance. It resided in the Garrett Collection for over 100 years, is the finest known by 3 full grades and is the second lowest mintage of the first decade's production.

EVP - I consider your 1840 the second finest known of the date - a beautiful, high end MS63.

I've now gone through most of the set and I don't know which group is my favorite. However, it is an amazing accomplishment to gather together survivors of that caliber. thumbsup2.gif

TDN,

You are such a wanker. JOM can do a better job than that!!!

Better job doing what, weenieboy? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

jom

I still think the 1866 has the most eye appeal, and in terms of rarity, history etc the 1870-S beats the 1848 hands down. When and if I finally understand the attraction of the 1848-- besides the provenance, perhaps I'll know enough about the series to sell all my Morgans and buy a top Seated Dollar! Nah, I could never do that!