• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's Up With This Coin ? posted by Cal Gold "Token" Guy

6 posts in this topic

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

I am thinking about buying this coin, but it has an odd look. Any thoughts out there about the coin's condition?

This coin has an odd look about it and not being an experienced US gold coin collector, I am looking for input. NGC has graded it an MS-61. Thanks.

15522.JPG

See more journals by Cal Gold "Token" Guy

I am thinking about buying this coin, but it has an odd look.

This coin has an odd look about it

NGC has graded it an MS-61.

NGC, just as any TPG, make mistakes.

More important is if that coin is so 'odd' looking that you have to mention it twice, I can only imagine that the reason you are even considering the purchase is that the price is well lower than other appropriately graded MS-61's.

If it is priced lower now because it is 'odd looking' then, when and if you ever go to sell it, it will once again be a lower priced odd looking coin.

It is odd looking to me as well. Are those scratches die polish lines? Are they on the slab?

What is the year and the mint? That might help explain the look.

It looks nice too me. It has some frosty surfaces. Looks like some die polish lines. If the price is within what has been the trend for this coin and you like it, go for it.

1862 gold dollars are usually very well struck and show excellent luster.