• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If selling a complete set of coins...

9 posts in this topic

I have been thinking of selling my IKES to pay off my mom's house. Are there places that would allow me to try and sell all the coins in one lot, or would I have to sell them individually? Except for the pop 1 (S) minted silver coins, and a few of the regular issue clads I have the top grade in most of the other coins. I wasn't going to try and make money on them, just want to be able to set a reserve price to get most of my money back. Are you allowed to set reserves at the major auction houses? I was hoping to get 1/2 of FMV, if they don't get any bids for that amount do they just send the coins back to me or do I have to pay some kind of fee before they send them back? Any insight would be welcome. Thanks in advance, MAILMAN (Jerry)....

I would see if an auction house would sell them individually yet publicize that the coins were from the same collection (assuming substantial value here, and it appears that this is likely the case). Heritage would be my first choice if you go the auction route. Many of times you see coins listed as ex John Doe Collection even if the pieces don't have the notoriety of more famous pedigrees like Bass and Eliasberg.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that if the seller wants to place a reserve on an item and it doesn't sell, then you are required to pay a fee to the auction company based on that reserve.

Chris

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that if the seller wants to place a reserve on an item and it doesn't sell, then you are required to pay a fee to the auction company based on that reserve.

Chris

It depends upon the particulars of the coins, the reserve amounts requested and the entire consignment. For example, if the auction house is confident that the coins will meet the reserves, it is possible that the potential charge for unmet reserves might be waived.

Are you thinking auction house or online sales?

Someone else doing the work or you (photos, marketing) ?

Is your perception of FMV the same as a dealer that deals in this type of item?

Thanks everyone, I guess it's varies with each situation. I will just have to call around and check with each company. Have a great day!! MAILMAN (Jerry)

Chris

..........if the auction house is confident that the coins will meet the reserves, it is possible that the potential charge for unmet reserves might be waived.

I knew I forgot to mention something.

Thanks, Mark!

Chris

You might do better selling them to your registry competition. They would appreciate the opportunity for top coins and you could avoid the fees from auction houses. I would assume you know the market being a collector and would have an excellent idea of what they might be worth to another individual.

Chris, we have never charged any fee of that sort in our auctions.