• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone tell me what variety this 1800 draped bust large cent is?

11 posts in this topic

A clearer pic of the date and a pic of the fraction on the reverse would help in determining the Sheldon variety. Here's a pic of (I believe) an S-196 I found while metal detecting.

180079ord600-horz_zps66e347df.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Most of the large cent varieties are illustrated at NGC's VarietyPlus website under the Research header.

There is no 1800 over 1799. There are six different overdated obverse for this year comprising eleven varieties. One die is 1800/1798, the other five are 1800/179_. The 1800/1798 dies comes on four varieties S190, 191, NC5 and NC6. I've already told him on another forum that this is not that obv. It isn't NC1, 192, or 193. (The top of the 7 shows strong at the top of the 8 on those) I don't think it is 194 or 195 because the final 0 is too close to the bust. That leaves 196 which is common and NC2 which is rare. At the moment that is a close as I have gotten it (and due to condition it may not be possible for me to get it closer.)

Why do I always here of these stories of people finding great stuff metal detecting when all I ever find is junk? The only thing I ever found is through roll searching, many silver roosies, mercury dimes, war nickels, buffalo nickels, and wheat pennies. I do better checking coin star machine too.