• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sacagawea Dollar ?

9 posts in this topic

Hello, I have some 2000-2004 Sacagawea dollars and I am keeping them in those vinyly sheets for coins to put in an album, anyway, they are already toning. What can I do to stop it? What is a better way to keep them. Should I put them in the 2x2 cardboard or mylar safety flips? I don't really like modern coins but I liked these coins and I don't feel that the toning is enhancing their beauty. What am I doing wrong? Thanks for any help. As a added note, I thought the coin pages were as good as the 2x2's. Am I wrong? Thanks for your help.

You may not be able to stop them from toning, Melanie. However, you can buy Intercept Shield 2x2 plastic holders made for Sac and SBA dollars. Place the coins in those and it should slow them down, at least. You can also put them in an IS box made for their 2x2s and put all that in a dry, cool place.

Hoot

Melanie: Even the 2x2 snap togethers are better than PVC and you can buy them at any coin shop for about $0.50 each. I like them because they are rigid and protect the coin well.

Thank-you Hoot and Oldtrader. Is the album sheets made with pvc? I thought they were mylar and that mylar was pvc free. Also, are they toning because all Sac's tone fast or because I kept them stored wrong or something else? I really liked the shiny gold color and also I just liked the coins. It really is the only modern coin that intrigued me. I can always buy more but there is no need if they are prone to do this or maybe I just am lousy at taking care of them. As a note, I love toning on silver coins. Thanks for all of your help.

If the coins are toning fast, the album sheets are probably not Mylar, which is chemically inert. You still can buy both PVC and Mylar sheets. The Mylar is stiffer material than PVC. Sac's seems to be relatively resistant to toning, so my quess is that you have PVC sheets.

You may not be able to stop them from toning, Melanie. However, you can buy Intercept Shield 2x2 plastic holders made for Sac and SBA dollars. Place the coins in those and it should slow them down, at least. You can also put them in an IS box made for their 2x2s and put all that in a dry, cool place.

Hoot

What Hoot said.

Hoot

What Hoot said.

Hoot! Do you work for IS? 27_laughing.gif That can get quite expensive at a buck a pop!

Saflips will run you about 16 cents or less each! And if you're not too positive about the coin page you have, E & T Kointainer can also help you in that department as well, including albums! laugh.gif

Leo

I think you are right and the album sheets are not mylar. I will put the coins in safety flips until I get my new order back from E & T Kointainers. Thanks for the info.

Hoot! Do you work for IS? 27_laughing.gif That can get quite expensive at a buck a pop!

Naw. I like their 2x2s and boxes, but their albums leave a lot to be desired. Still prefer Danscos, even though most of my raw stuff is in IS albums. smirk.gif

Hoot