• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did anyone see the 1861 C Half Eagle on Pawn Stars last night?

21 posts in this topic

Rick bought a raw 1861 Half Eagle last night. The in-house expert said it was genuine and put a $15K retail price on the piece. That would put it in the mid-AU range. I'm no expert on old gold but the piece looked XF at best and cleaned. I think Rick got it for under $10K.

yeah, rick mentioned that the TPG might send it back as 'cleaned'. i've seen guys from NGC and PCGS on Pawn Stars as one of the experts. i'm not sure why rick wouldn't have called one of them for such a big purchase.

Pawn Stars is scripted just like the rest of the so called “reality” shows.

However it is still fun to watch .

Yeah! The only episode that really hit home for me was the time that Charmy was on the show.

Chris

Totally scripted of course but the items are still fun to watch. Wish they would focus more on them then the little vignettes about the cast which are getting longer and more inane. Their casting department will be at the Long Beach show looking for potential items to put on the show.

Yes, I happened to see it. I couldn't understand it, but he's buried in that coin. I even thought I saw some reverse damage,

Paul

yeah i'm sure the parts where they are messing with each other are scripted. but i don't think the deals are scripted. i mean, they're definitely edited. but i don't think the producers give a seller a -script.

Yes, I happened to see it. I couldn't understand it, but he's buried in that coin. I even thought I saw some reverse damage,

Paul

I saw the show preview, but not the actual show.

I believe the apparent "damage" on the reverse is actually NOT post-mint damage but is actually a mint-made defect. I once owned an 1859-C $5 coin with a similar-looking reverse defect and it was slabbed by a major grading service as problem-free.

yeah i'm sure the parts where they are messing with each other are scripted. but i don't think the deals are scripted. i mean, they're definitely edited. but i don't think the producers give a seller a -script.

As I understand it, the items that are chosen to be on the show are picked out ahead of time. But the expert evaluation of the items and the negotiations about buying are not scripted.

I saw it but not good enough to grade it, although I could tell it was circulated. I could also tell right away that the surfaces looked BAD!!! I was sure about that part.

I can't remember what they paid, but I'd say they lost...check out the Gold and Silver label.

http://coins.ha.com/itm/liberty-half-eagles/half-eagles/1861-c-5-improperly-cleaned-ngc-details-au-variety-1/a/1216-7093.s

Rick paid 80K for this one after the expert (NGC's own David Nagi) said 'north of 50K and less than 100K'

http://coins.ha.com/itm/1922-1-high-relief-matte-pr61-ngc/a/1216-4211.s

Google-fu tells me Rick paid 12K for this one:

http://coins.ha.com/itm/high-relief-double-eagles/double-eagles/1907-20-high-relief-wire-rim-improperly-cleaned-ngc-details-unc/a/1216-7737.s

So scripted, he probably didn't even buy it

I personally know someone who was actually on the show.

The Pawn Stars crew picks and chooses what items are taped for the show.

The negotiations on price, as well as the purchases, are real (unscripted).

Yeah! The only episode that really hit home for me was the time that Charmy was on the show.Chris

Missed that one, do you recall what episode and what was the storyline ?

I spotted an 1861-C half eagle at a Baltimore show a couple of years ago. It had an NGC grade of AU-50 and was priced at $12,000. I passed because it was just too baggy for me. I understand that a lot of marks are the norm for this issue. If the coin was just an EF or AU $16,000 sounds like a burial for a pawn shop.

Thanks for the link, dadams. So Rick paid 8k for it. Would be nice to find out what it graded at some point. I thought it looked overly bright but details wise looks like it could go as high as AU to me.

Thanks for the link, dadams. So Rick paid 8k for it. Would be nice to find out what it graded at some point. I thought it looked overly bright but details wise looks like it could go as high as AU to me.

It sold for $6,462.50 ($5,500 hammer price) at the 2015 FUN show auction held by Herritage. NGC graded it AU sharpness, improperly cleaned. The photos in the film clip suggested that the piece had been improperly cleaned.

I guess Rick is making up for his bad buys with volume purchases. ;) His other buys did not do well relative to what he paid in the auction. It makes you wonder of Rick's "coin expert" guy is still on the staff.

I would not prepared to give a price off the cuff the way he did on an expensive coin. I've have to do some research.

Of course it probably was scripted.