• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your worst-struck Unc coins

13 posts in this topic

We all prefer nicely struck coins, but there are some really poor strikes out there, too. I've been looking for the worst struck 1921 Peace dollar for a decade - almost had one, but the owner wanted too much for it. (He believed the label not the coin…)

Post some of your uncirculated, but very poorly struck US or world coins.

As a silver Roosevelt dime collector, some of my most poorly struck coins are the 1946 date. A weaker JS initials on 1946 P, D, and S Roosevelts is actually one of the markers for one of two obverse die variates currently listed by CONECA and a few others (not Cherrypickers' as far as I know). CONECA lists them as ODV-001 and ODV-002 (here), although they don't exactly use the word "weak". CONECA says the JS is "somewhat deformed". I believe that these varieties were first published by Breen. (Weak JS on the left)

2rg2ufo.jpgr2l1ci.jpg

The legend in the right photo looks doubled in the photo, but it's not.

I have had some bad 1953-S Jefferson nickels, but I usually do not keep ugly poorly struck coins - I will see if I can find one to picture.

That Lincoln had an oddly attractive and appealing look to it.
Pat, I have to agree, this is a very well struck 68, but compared to a 69 the detail is lacking to speak nicely.

How about WL halves and SL quarters....any appealing photos of unappealing strikes?

Sure, on an otherwise nice looking MS-65 coin, Lady Liberty has no left hand and no fingers!

843090_Full_Obv.jpg

The eagle fares a little bit better. However, there is weakness that starts on the feathers around the eagle's left foot and goes up in a straight line through the right wing.

843090_Full_Rev.jpg

... and just for good measure how bout this poor gal on an MS-62 who got part of her nose cut off, and is missing some ribbon in the bow. To be fair and I may be mistaken about this, this three-cent piece maybe suffering from a greasy die since the weakness isn't in the deepest recess of the dies.

1178109_Full_Obv.jpg1178109_Full_Rev.jpg

Gary

Strike weakness is the result of metal not flowing completely into the details cut into a die. Details missing from a die, or from a worn out hub that was used to produce poorly detailed dies, are technically not examples of weak strike.

The same holds true for the 1946 dime diagnostic weaknesses, which would be a characteristics of the dies themselves, and not examples of strike weakness.