• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think this holder caused this tone?

9 posts in this topic

I picked this cheap display holder of silver Roosevelts up from eBay for a pretty good price. Do you think this holder caused the coloring of the dimes?

25r2gqs.jpg

fn4l6d.jpg

It's not a new holder. It's obviously been around the block a few times. The back says the holder was produced by the American Historic Society (not to be confused with the American Historical Association). From what I can tell, the American Historic Society is nothing more than coin re-marketing group that's just trying to sound really legitimate.

The coloring is pretty cool. But all of the coins are circulated; none really close to MS.

It looks it me. Most of the coins that were put in these aftermarket holders were circulated. I have bought two of those "silver story" aftermarket holders. Each has a morgan and peace dollar in them. All the coins are common date. One set is very circulated and I was fortunate that the second set had MS coins in it. The worn ones have toned on the reverse side. I haven't opened them in a few years so I'm not sure what they look like anymore. The obverses, which are facing out on the holders shows no toning. It's a shame most these sets are filled with worn coins as they would be very nice uncirculated. Still they look pretty nice to me.

I picked this cheap display holder of silver Roosevelts up from eBay for a pretty good price. Do you think this holder caused the coloring of the dimes?

Not sure if I'm right but my guess would be that it did.

I would say the toning was created by the holder, and I too find it relatively attractive. My eyes get excited when I find something like that.... 9 times out of 10 though, my excitement is immediately followed by disappointment, because It seems like if in the rare event that the coins in holders like that are UNC... which isn't usually the case, but when they are, I find that they have usually been "harshly cleaned"... sucks.

yeah, they're in bad shape. one or two have contact marks so deep it looks like someone chewed on them before putting them in the holder. there's one 1964-D that's probably AU; i haven't opened it up yet to get a good look. the plastic is very scuffed up and hard to see through.

100% caused by the holder. Pretty common on aftermarket holders with cardboard inserts encapsulated in plastic. Sometimes they come out very pretty, especially when high grade coins were initially put into the holders.

These kinds of holders frequently hold awful coins, but Yes, they induce that kind of toning. On very rare occasions, we've plucked amazing toned gems out of such holders, but that's VERY unusual, since they typically house polished circulated coins.