• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

With all this talk about toned coins....

21 posts in this topic

I thought I'd share this Pan-Pac commem with the board.

655641-1915span-pacobv.jpg655686-1915span-pacrev.jpg

This is a gorgeously toned coin that is much nicer in hand than my scans depict. The obverse rim is encircled by a ring of tone that begins as light sea foam green, turns to electric blue, and then to burnt orange. The center is a beautiful light gold.

The reverse also has a ring of sea foam green, electric blue, and burnt orange around the rim, with the center toned in the same beautiful light gold as the obverse, and although the ring of colors is not a dramatic as on the obverse, it is still quite pretty. The colors are bright and iridescent on both the obverse and reverse.

The coin is sharply struck and its luster is very nice, in fact, probably as nice as it comes for this issue. The coin is in an NGC holder graded MS-66*.

Enjoy

John

Sweet John! 893applaud-thumb.gif Very interesting toning - a perfect oval. One of my favorite commems that is often butt-ugly. Where did you find that splendid pooch?

Hoot

sleeping.gif

Just another boring commem.

grin.gif

The obverse looks like the CBS eye. Is it watching you? devil.gif

Great coin! yay.gifyay.gif

jom

Where did you find that splendid pooch?

Jom sent it to me. He said it was a test piece he used while trying out a new spraying technique he’s going to start using on his buffalos. confused-smiley-013.gif

I guess I’m lucky he thinks commems are boring. smirk.gif

John devil.gif

Superb coin, John! thumbsup2.gif

It looks eerily similar to my piece, though my Pan-Pac is only an MS64. There is an attached scan of mine without any manipulation of the color/brightness/contrast. The brightness should be boosted to really show what it looks like.

656037-I1915SN64.jpg.fab98dbc0c5e3c1f9262ce27ea72bfe0.jpg

Tom,

Did you buy your coin at the GSNA show a couple of years back? I remember that a dealer who had a table across from yours had a Pan Pac that looked like that.

Anyway, it does look a lot like mine. The next time we see each other we should bring both of them to show each other.

John

Anyway, it does look a lot like mine. The next time we see each other we should bring both of them to show each other.

I think it's best to send both to me for some "touch-up" work.

jom devil.gifdevil.gif

I think it's best to send both to me for some "touch-up" work.

I like the job you did on mine just fine the way it is. thumbsup2.gif

I was thinking about sending you my Grant with star though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe you could add some nice autumn colors, you know, shades of red, orange, and gold. cloud9.gif

What do you think, could you fit it into your schedule? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

John grin.gif

What do you think, could you fit it into your schedule?

Duuuude...I'm so "there". Ship it, baby! grin.gif

jom

John, yes it was from the GSNA a few years back. The table across from mine was njcoincrank and he and I are good friends. I bought the coin from him and he gave me the good friend "discount" so I only had to pay 30% more than the public! 893whatthe.gif

Seriously, njcoincrank is one of my best friends in this business and it will be good to hang out with him in Baltimore this weekend. thumbsup2.gif

Tom,

I knew that coin was familiar. I remember looking at it in hand and thinking it was really nice. I can’t remember why I didn’t buy it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I was probably out of money by the time I saw it. grin.gif

I wish I could make it to Baltimore, but I have to be at work at 7:00 a.m. on Saturday. mad.gif

Good luck and have fun this weekend!

John

Hayden,

I don’t really care about any of the full this or full that designations. I feel that they put too much emphasis on only one very small area of the coin. However, after closely examining my Pan-Pac I can assure you that although it may not be apparent in my image, my coin does indeed have a FBL.

Each cheek is completely separated by a full and unbroken line. I am confident that if or more likely when the grading companies decide to add this designation to their list of other full this and full that designations, my coin will qualify. thumbsup2.gif

John smirk.gif

John, and yet another excellent commem! Do all your commems exhibit such beautiful toning?

Tom, yours ain't at all bad either---or maybe calling it bad is good!

Hi David,

No, not all of my commems have toning that equals that of some of the coins I have posted, in fact the majority of the coins in my set are various shades of white or light gold. However, whether toned or white, the one thing that they all have in common in my opinion is outstanding eye appeal. cloud9.gif

John