• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CD Arrived: President Roosevelt (FDR) and Early Commemorative Coins

12 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I haven't been posting much because my hard goal is for my book to be in print this year, finally. :)

FDR was president from 1933 till his death in 1945. A ton of the early commemorative coins were minted during these years. A good majority of the commissions for these coins presented FDR with the first coins struck. He received coins in other ways also but my focus was on the early commemoratives. I am happy to say I found where these coins are and the images will be in my book. :grin:

The images are being put on a DVD and mailed to me. Here is an example of one of the coins:

MO1941-40-4-12_Combo.jpg

Historical Attributions: Coin designed by William Marks Simpson. Part of a collection of coins, tokens, paper money, etc., received from President Roosevelt on May 29, 1941.

Credit Line: Bequest of Franklin D. Roosevelt.

I will post a few more once the DVD arrives.

Enjoy.

MO1982-14.jpg

Lee, the FDR card is really cool, but I would have chastised Morgenthau for sending a bag to the Treasury when it was known to be 5c short.

Chris

The "first bag" coin card was described in an article in Coin World several years ago. Similar cards were presented to several Treasury and administration officials as personal mementos by Secretary Morgenthau.

MO1982-14.jpg

Lee, the FDR card is really cool, but I would have chastised Morgenthau for sending a bag to the Treasury when it was known to be 5c short.

Chris

The bag was received BY the Treasury FROM the Mint, after which it was opened and coins removed.

Hi All,

I haven't been posting much because my hard goal is for my book to be in print this year, finally. :)

FDR was president from 1933 till his death in 1945. A ton of the early commemorative coins were minted during these years. A good majority of the commissions for these coins presented FDR with the first coins struck. He received coins in other ways also but my focus was on the early commemoratives. I am happy to say I found where these coins are and the images will be in my book. :grin:

The images are being put on a DVD and mailed to me. Here is an example of one of the coins:

MO1941-40-4-12_Combo.jpg

Historical Attributions: Coin designed by William Marks Simpson. Part of a collection of coins, tokens, paper money, etc., received from President Roosevelt on May 29, 1941.

Credit Line: Bequest of Franklin D. Roosevelt.

I will post a few more once the DVD arrives.

Enjoy.

Sounds like a neat collection. Are there any Sinnock Proofs in it?

The Coolidge Museum has some of the commemoratives presented to President Calvin Coolidge during the 1920s.

Thanks all for the comments.

(thumbs u

Tom, none of the information I received stated Sinnock Proof.

Roger, I have some images of the Coolidge items. Hoping to get more once the weather clears up there.

A couple more interesting items:

MO1947-93-137boxB.jpg

MO1941-40-4-17amp182B.jpg

FDR was mostly into stamps. Henry Morgenthau put together a set of commemoratives for display in his Treasury office, and several family members were basic level collectors. Ednis Wilkins, Mint Director Ross' private secretary, was an active collector of medals, commemoratives and early US. She attended club meetings in Washington DC and exhibited parts of her collection.

(See: Journal of Numismatic Research Issue 6, Winter 2014 "The Women Who Ran the Mint" for more info.)