• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1922 Peace PR67 Matte Finish Hi Relief

14 posts in this topic

I just received a note from Goldberg Coins (not sure why,never used them), but they are selling a 1922 Peace PCGS PR67 Matte finish, hi relief at the June auction. I checked the price list and PCGS shows it is $400,000. I do not collect Peace dollars so for that reason and maybe one other reason I will pass. So any Peace dollar collectors, go for it.

I got the same e-mail. They are also selling a PF64 1921 Proof Matte Finish-High Relief.

Both were recently discovered in a Concord, CA bank vault. These are two new one's that get added to the total.

I don't think either is particulary attractive from the pictures. It doesn't really matter because I couldn't afford either one.

There are two sandblast proof pieces. Both supposedly from Raymond T. Baker, Mint Director at the time the 1922 HR experimental pieces were made. Almost all of these were destroyed because the relief was too high for standard production. They were followed by a medium relief design using the same reverse which also failed.

These should not be confused with the regular issue 1922 low relief sandblast proofs, or with 1921 HR sandblast proofs.

The proof 67 piece is, in my opinion, the best struck 1922 HR available. The other coin, a proof 64, is not fully struck on the high points.

A couple of hobby writers appear to be confused about these and other proof Peace dollars. That can be easily corrected if they will open a copy of A Guide Book of Peace Dollars or Renaissance of American Coinage 1916-1921 and read the research results.

The interesting part is that only the PR64 looks high relief, but that could be accentuated by the discoloration. Neat pieces and wouldn't that be a welcomed find!

Here's the email I got from Goldberg Auctions. Also I did a search for the trueview of these coins, there wasn't any. Is that strange? I find it kind of hard to believe that they didn't Trueview these specimens.

jMyA2QA.png