• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What coin will increase the most in value over the next ten years?

12 posts in this topic

If you had to take an educated guess, and if you think it is not a particular genre of coins, rather, toned Morgans, or key date large cents, or key date Franklins, please express your ideas.

Colonial coppers ?

Half Cents ?

Large Cents ?

Two cent pieces ?

Half dimes ?

Shield nickles ?

Seated liberty nickles....etc...

Proof coinage

Early proof coinage

Pattern coins...etc...

I would suspect that popularity profiles won't change much over the next ten years, and wonder if gold coinage (not modern) would be the most to appreciate, just because of its allure as a precious metal. There is also that element of scarcity with gold coinage that appears to be more meaningful to people than scarcity of other metals. Early silver dollars are pretty scarce though, and I don't think it would take much to knock them up a few notches price-wise.

While key dates and condition census coins are frequently a good bet, I would lean toward coins that have not greatly gone up in value over the past few years.

I've been saying this for a long time, but early commemoratives seem like a good bet. A variety of designs so that collectors don't get bored, low mintages, can be found in decent condition (MS64-66 and occasionally MS67) without costing a fortune, and can be found blast white, thin skinned, or heavily toned with ease.

Lincoln cents are a possibility with the 100 year anniversary of the Lincoln obverse and its redesign. There is also the possibility of the elimination of the cent. However, the downside to these is that they have gone up in value recently.

Pattern are frequently talked about becoming hot due to the release of the Judd book (or whatever they are calling it), but these are priced out of the range of most collectors, so I wouldn't bet on them.

I'd stay away from all proofs 1950-present, most all mint state moderns, all wonder grade coins with super premium prices over the undergrade, generic anything, lower grade early commems (below MS64 and likely below MS65), all modern commems, bullion coins, circulated non-key date, problem coins and any coins without eye appeal.

One area that I think is due for a giant rise in value is high grade foreign. I'm currently selling a lot of these and the prices have gone up dramatically in the past 2-3 years. There was very little demand on eBay for these high grade coins. Now there are people fighting over them.

I used to be able to buy on eBay certified 20th gems (MS65-67) for around unc catalog and frequently for less than catalog. Today those same coins are frequently bringing 3X-6X catalog. Even prices for not exactly popular countries have dramatically risen. What I would affectionately call “loser” countries because there was extremely little demand have risen in value. I purchased lots of early-to-mid 19th century gems for less than XF catalog a couple of years ago. Today they are bringing 3X unc catalog with quite a few interested buyers.

And call me biased if you want, but excluding Canada, NGC coins sell far better than PCGS. For Canada, ICCS beats them all.

gem colored proof two cent pieces

gem proof colored and mint tissue toned and deep/ultra cameo three cent nicks

gem proof colored indian cents

gem proof and ms colored liberty nicks

gem proof colored buffs

gem proof classic head half cents

deep/ultra cameo gem proof pre 1916 type

rainbow colored thick skinned superb gem ms walkers late dates

especially so the keys too like the 41-s

superb gem red matte proof 1909 lincoln cent

gem ms and cameo proof copper nick cents

pre 1915 choice and gem type ms and proof

killer colored commems

michael

I couldn't agree more Greg. I have watched prices for the coins I currently collect do nothing but move up. It's even caused me to move into other areas that haven't jumped so much yet. And now they're starting to move.

With the increase in collectors, I see almost every series making at least some rise in price in the next few years. A few that I'd be watching are...

1) Lincoln Cents - hitting 100 years in 2009, the little wheaties might just take off, depending on what they do with the design. The only downfall is if they have a repeat of the current nickel program disaster. I like the designs, but the only way for a modern coin to gain popularity and in turn cause a price increase, is for it to be seen by everyone. Aside from the few dozens i've pulled from the drawers at work, I honestly would have to say I have only gotten maybe 1 or 2 in my change ( I have gotten more 40% silver war nickels in the past year as change than the 2004 designs). Now think back to the state quarters, the first few years almost every other quarter or better was a state quarter. Everyone seen it, everyone knew what it was, and BAM the phenomenon began. Speaking of which....

2) Washington Quarters - The silver years are selling at pretty modest prices for 64 - 66 grades, and with all those state quarter collectors, that is most likely one of the first non-modern series they venture into. With the State Quarters ending in 2009 as well, that could be the year the prices really take off, as the demand for complete sets of the State Series kicks in. (I wonder if the mint is playing with the hobby on this one, considering the huge drop in mintage figures from the start of the program to its current series). And a possible change in design in 2009? Could play out to an increase in the entire 77 year run (well 32 - 64, and 98 - 09) at least. This would be the one and only modern coin that has the potential for a price increase, barring a major disaster in the program's final years).

3) Morgans & Peace Dollars - They keep going up and up and up, they might slow down a bit in a rise, but as each year passes they won't stop climbling the price charts. I really can't see either one of these coins capping off in price any time soon. And face it, who doesn't love a Morgan, it is the backbone of the hobby.

Everything Else....

--- The old stuff, well of course it's going to get more valuable...

--- Commeratives, not a fan, so no idea

--- Gold, $500 an ounce? $600? Gold is big bucks regardless of spot, period.

--- Halves, like the Ike, SBA, and Sac have done to the dollar, I wouldn't be suprised to see it become a coin of the past. Anything pre 1965, is fair game for a price increase. There are a lot of nice Franklins floating around out there, get them while you can.

--- Nickel, well you heard my opinion on the program. Aside from the Buffalo and earlier designs, I have no taste for Jeffersons, I know a good deal of you love your FS and such, but not for me, way to overpriced, and blah...

--- Dimes, Go Mercs, Go! I love the merc, but the rosevelt series, just doesnt seem to be going anywhere.

Well that is my thoughts on the issue at hand, everyone is entiltied to their 2 cents worth, so I just thought I would share mine with you all.

Anything with a graded pop in 65+ of 50 or lower.

They are making more collectors but not more coins.

But as there are more collectors, the grading services are making more 65+s. They used to be called 64s 10 years ago and 63s 15 years ago and Choice AUs 20 years ago, but they are making more.

I agree that Gmarguli mostly nailed it in his first post.

It is interesting though that virtually every coin ever minted on the face of the Earth has been mentioned as a possible candidate to increase in value but a few have gone out of their way to mention moderns will do poorly. If I were a disinterested observer this alone would be sufficient to get me interested in moderns.

Be that as it may, the leaders over the next ten years will likely remain moderns. Mint state coins are likely to continue their torrid advances and the proofs will bottom out before much longer in all probability. The supply of raw moderns will not last another ten years and when this supply becomes too little for current demand it will cut off the flow of not only the high grade coins which many are so fond of bashing but also the choice and low grade gems which get no attention.

I'd be watching not only the coins that haven't moved much so far but also many US and world coins that have never moved at all. World gems are undervalued and underappreciated. Scarce world coins from 1800 to date in attractive circulated condition get less attention than they deserve. Look at coins like the early '20's British 6P's in XF. These are scarce coins but few seem to notice it. Try to find some of the early cu/ni NZ shillings in XF or better.

Watch out for many BU 1950 and later world coins that emerge as true rarities.

There will be a few token and medal series which do well also. These will probably be mostly 19th century, but there are some 20th century which should get more attention.

Anything with a graded pop in 65+ of 50 or lower.

They are making more collectors but not more coins.

But as there are more collectors, the grading services are making more 65+s. They used to be called 64s 10 years ago and 63s 15 years ago and Choice AUs 20 years ago, but they are making more.

Greg,

I think you understand what I am saying. Those 65+s of today will probably be 66's tomorrow and 67's ten or twenty years from now. Regardless of the number on the slab, they will still be among the 50 best of the date. Granted there are probably many raw coins in old-time collections that have yet to see the light of day, but by and large most GEMS have been slabbed.