• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WOW!! I can't believe PCGS could make a mistake like this!!!!

43 posts in this topic

And, this is what happens on this board. Someone doesn't just jump in on the PCGS/CAC dogpiles, but uses their own brains, and they get jumped on and called ignorant by someone(s) that seem to add nothing to any knowledge.

My point is simple....on either board, just bashing a TPGS does no good and isn't cool. Being "funny" on a message board, by trying to use sarcasm, doesn't come across and some people take it literally.

I was called an "apologist" but, I don't think that is apt. I may post on both boards, but I always here how this is the nicer board.

Funny thing is that there is just as much bashing that goes on here. Whether against PCGS/CAC/or just someone that does their own thinking and voices their own mind asking for more common sense and less bashing to occur. Heck, the amount of bashing may even be greater by certain folks here just because there is lesser volume of other things to hide the bashing by having it pushed off the screen. And, claiming, when MANY examples/prices are shown, that a certain TPGS has more value within certain series/coin types/grades, isn't bashing. It is obviously a fact of the market.

Some hide it behind "critical thinking" or "asking the hard questions", but, really, some of that is just a smoke screen, imho.

I don't think I have, on either board, made fun of a TPGS nor started a thread on them in that context, either in earnest or as a joke. Heck the one time I tried to make a joke (funny) thread was on PCGS and I ended up offending a forum friend, because written jokes don't always come across as meant.

So, go out of your way, jump on me all you want, I have said my piece on it (and will continue to do so in the future, here or there).

I come to the boards for information, knowledge, and the enjoyment of coins. I don't come to make fun of dealers, collectors, ebay buyers, ebay sellers, TPGSs, etc....although, it is obvious that others do enjoy the debasement provided by certain posters.

You haven't started any coin-related thread here on the NGC boards since May of 2012. Seems the only time we see you is when you come over here to tell us how wrong and unworthy we are. Do tell me how you have added to knowledge here, and how you are not calling the kettle black in your post above? Just wondering...

And, this is what happens on this board. Someone doesn't just jump in on the PCGS/CAC dogpiles, but uses their own brains, and they get jumped on and called ignorant by someone(s) that seem to add nothing to any knowledge.

My point is simple....on either board, just bashing a TPGS does no good and isn't cool. Being "funny" on a message board, by trying to use sarcasm, doesn't come across and some people take it literally.

I was called an "apologist" but, I don't think that is apt. I may post on both boards, but I always here how this is the nicer board.

Funny thing is that there is just as much bashing that goes on here. Whether against PCGS/CAC/or just someone that does their own thinking and voices their own mind asking for more common sense and less bashing to occur. Heck, the amount of bashing may even be greater by certain folks here just because there is lesser volume of other things to hide the bashing by having it pushed off the screen. And, claiming, when MANY examples/prices are shown, that a certain TPGS has more value within certain series/coin types/grades, isn't bashing. It is obviously a fact of the market.

Some hide it behind "critical thinking" or "asking the hard questions", but, really, some of that is just a smoke screen, imho.

I don't think I have, on either board, made fun of a TPGS nor started a thread on them in that context, either in earnest or as a joke. Heck the one time I tried to make a joke (funny) thread was on PCGS and I ended up offending a forum friend, because written jokes don't always come across as meant.

So, go out of your way, jump on me all you want, I have said my piece on it (and will continue to do so in the future, here or there).

I come to the boards for information, knowledge, and the enjoyment of coins. I don't come to make fun of dealers, collectors, ebay buyers, ebay sellers, TPGSs, etc....although, it is obvious that others do enjoy the debasement provided by certain posters.

You haven't started any coin-related thread here on the NGC boards since May of 2012. Seems the only time we see you is when you come over here to tell us how wrong and unworthy we are. Do tell me how you have added to knowledge here, and how you are not calling the kettle black in your post above? Just wondering...

Nope, I haven't.

I haven't started that many on PCGS since back then either.

Had a few issues with my eyes, and other things, that slowed down a lot of the things that I could do with the coins myself.

I guess that is a problem for you?

Your post is just another example of what I was talking about. You hold yourself, here, as a shining example of how this board is better than the other. Yet, you watch to trash on me. Glad you are so much better.

I never said I was better, but I don't go starting threads to bash on a TPGS and claim superiority ;)

As for the "tell US how wrong and how unworthy WE are", I have stated, and will state again, it isn't everyone. I just call out the ones who claim how nice and friendly everyone is and then turn around and start saying how bad and evil the PCGS boards are and the PCGS posters.

Oh wait.....in your logic, and a few others, I am the bad person for doing so, but those that claim they are doing similar, but bash on the PCGS boards and posters, are ok because of who they are doing it to? Ok. Gotcha. I will never be worthy then because I don't believe that it is right to do it against either NGC or PCGS.

Had a few issues with my eyes, and other things, that slowed down a lot of the things that I could do with the coins myself.

I guess that is a problem for you?

Nope, not a problem at all. If your eyes are good enough to see to type (which apparently they are since you seem to have no problem replying here), then they are good enough to make an occasional educational (or otherwise) post. There are other types of posts besides those showing off your coins. I'm sure you possess some knowledge that people on this and the PCGS forums could benefit from.

... I don't believe that it is right to do it against either NGC or PCGS.
Ok, so the next time I see a bashing post against NGC on the PCGS boards I expect to see you step up and defend NGC just as strong as you've defended PCGS on this board. For one I've seen a lot of NGC bashing over there and I have yet to see you one single time defend NGC over there yet every time someone talks sideways about CAC or PCGS on this board you come to their defense. You can't have it both ways, so either stop defending one here or start defending both here and ATS.

Bochi, settle down. Put away your fixation with psychoanalyzing everybody and get on the team and come in with us for the big score. You’ll feel better. We’ll feel better. You’ve been psychoanalyzing me since the minute I joined here. You used to get on my nerves for it until I saw threads like this demonstrating I’m not the only one, not by a longshot. Get over your relentless obsession to reply to the personality instead of to the merits, it’s becoming predictable. Do you want to know? I used to think you’re a doctor, lol!

... I don't believe that it is right to do it against either NGC or PCGS.
Ok, so the next time I see a bashing post against NGC on the PCGS boards I expect to see you step up and defend NGC just as strong as you've defended PCGS on this board. For one I've seen a lot of NGC bashing over there and I have yet to see you one single time defend NGC over there yet every time someone talks sideways about CAC or PCGS on this board you come to their defense. You can't have it both ways, so either stop defending one here or start defending both here and ATS.

I don't see ANYONE over there stating how nice they are compared to the denizens here. Do you? Do you see anyone claiming how angelic they are?

I see that here. That's all I am saying.

Am I wrong about that? Please do point out any posts/threads over there were a person posts how nice they are and then they go about bashing on a TPGS/CAC. I must have missed it and would like to be informed since some of you are so brilliant and informative.

Help a brother out ;)

Oh I see, you are only calling out those who say they are nice and then show they aren't? I just thought you were defending PCGS and CAC neither of which I have a problem with. My bad, I misread you totally.

Oh I see, you are only calling out those who say they are nice and then show they aren't? I just thought you were defending PCGS and CAC neither of which I have a problem with. My bad, I misread you totally.

Neither. I do not think I have been "defending" either PCGS or CAC. I have called out when I think things have been in err (ie....stating what CAC does/doesn't do when it is knowingly wrong), or when I think it is very hypocritical, and ignorant, and completely wrong, to bash on a company that really hasn't done any personal wrong to someone.

And, as a whole, I am just trying to make a point to the board members here. I have NO problems at all with the vast majority here. I like coming here and do read most of the threads to glean information and to see if there is anything I can add that would be helpful (many times, there isn't as the discussion is either pretty simple/closed/already covered/or in an area that I am in a learning mode and not information distributing capable.

However, I frequently see the "Welcome to the boards. We are so nice here. This place is NOT like the PCGS boards where everyone is an evil orge". Yada yada yada.

Then, some of the same folks start a bashing thread. Really??? That IS what happens on the PCGS boards....but, I thought I had heard, MANY MANY times, sometimes even by the same person, that that doesn't happen over here.

So, when I responded to this thread, I stated that I was surprised at the thread/title and that sarcasm doesn't travel well in written form. I was summarily jumped on by some of the same ones that frequently bash on PCGS and PCGS board members. People that are SO smugly proud of their bashing of PCGS that they have self-made halos proudly declaring that.

So, I post on both boards. I don't start many threads on either lately...not for a couple of years, due to what I had mentioned, but I will post and respond to posts. I will speak my mind, like I would expect anyone to. I won't come off and start a thread to bash on a company/person, nor will I jump on any wagon leading to a pitchfork brigade just to join in. There is a lot of festering hate/resentment towards PCGS by some folks here and that bleeds into bad feelings for anyone that is active on the PCGS boards...particularly if they come here.

That's a shame.

There is so much to learn in numismatics. The people. The history. The coins themselves. The boards are great for that. I wouldn't have met the folks I have, without the boards, and those are some great folks. Some of them post here. Some of them post there. There should be no exclusivity and that is all that the bashing goes to do.

However, I frequently see the "Welcome to the boards. We are so nice here. This place is NOT like the PCGS boards where everyone is an evil orge". Yada yada yada.

Then, some of the same folks start a bashing thread. Really??? That IS what happens on the PCGS boards....but, I thought I had heard, MANY MANY times, sometimes even by the same person, that that doesn't happen over here.

Give us an example of what you call a bashing thread against PCGS or CAC here. I have seen some threads that raise issues about inconsistencies of these companies, but the point of these threads at least from what I can tell is to debate this issue and hear all views on it. Sometimes, when folks disagree, some revert to name calling towards those they disagree with, but these are directed at posters, not the companies. If we can't debate the companies that hold so much of the control over value in numismatic items by the simple fact of their grades on plastic holders or their beans, then, well, we might as well shut down the boards. This is an important issue and crucial to all.

Best, HT

There's always that 10% of people on any public forum that can always turn a thread into a debate. Whether it's a disagreement of a coins grade, designation, or any sticker attached, the disliking of the person that posts, or just likes to find negativity in any conversation. It's everywhere you go. I think more people feel that it takes place more ATS is because that forum was designed to be PCGS or nothing. Praise has to be given there or you may get the boot for any negative comments. The more they can bash other companies and praise pcgs, the more it fits with the forum design. I think it's just recognized more because the NGC forum is much more liberal in their tolerance. It's also more noticicable there because there are quite a bit more members there. This is JMO and I'm not directing this towards any certain individual.

I have found a NGC few slabs with small mistakes on the labels, i.e. the label says 1963, but the coin is actually a 1963-D. And I've wonder if any TPG has ever made a mistake on the grade as well, i.e. the grader's opinion is that a coin is MS 65, but whoever made up the label printed MS 63.

Nope.

Never happens.

Never.

How can you say that with such confidence..?

."

I do believe it was a joke.