• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay "stalker"..? Anyone has the same problem?

61 posts in this topic

Well, I will have to say that back in the day when it was easier to track bidders that I stalked certain buyers. I didn't always outbid them but on occasion I was successful.

(tsk);)

Just do what I do, don't bid on stuff you want to actually but. Set a snipe and forget it. You'll get an email notification if you win and that's all that you have to worry about. Set it and forget it, I think someone famous coined that term! :)

Here's the site I use. www.snip.pl/en

thank you! (thumbs u

Maybe with documented proof eBay will issue a eRestraining order? lol

hahahahaha :roflmao:

i really hope they make it a thing!

Make another ebay account.
just make sure ya dont hike up a few prices before you do that :devil:

this all thing confuses me. i hope i done end up messing myself up :tonofbricks:

I don't understand how he finds your bids. Ebay does not allow anyone to search by bidder anymore, except for completed auctions. Please explain.

not 100% sure how, beyond what I (and others) explained above.

maybe I've had a transaction with this user in the past, buying from him, and he can check my bidding activities. maybe, although he's in the U.S (I assume), he registered his account in some other country that has different ebay rules that allow that? i'm not sure.. (shrug)

They are bidding from inside your house! :ohnoez:

hm:fear:

:devil:

You can find out who beat you quicker than feedback left - just do a bidder search of yourself.

I wonder if there is another country eBay site that allows you to do search by bidder while auctions are live - I remember years ago you could go to Singapore eBay and leave extremely long feedbacks. In Germany eBay, you could not search anything about anyone 10 years ago.

very interesting. i'm gonna try to do a bidder search of myself now to see how it works here

UPDATE

As e1cnr suggested, i did a search by bidder on my own username, and i cannot believe that the list that came up INCLUDED ITEMS THAT ARE STILL LIVE, not just sold items.

My little brain doesn't get it. There are 719,424 U.S. coins for sale on the Bay. How can a person find what you are bidding on?

not sure (shrug) beyond what i mentioned before ^

I used to use esnipe (I don't mind the small fee, as long as its not a high dollar item), but it sometimes fails to place a bid for me, for some reason.

I use gixen.com for all my ebay sniping. If you want extra protection it cost only $6/year for a mirror server, so it places second bid if 1st server fails to execute the bid.

I don't understand how he finds your bids. Ebay does not allow anyone to search by bidder anymore, except for completed auctions. Please explain.

My little brain doesn't get it. There are 719,424 U.S. coins for sale on the Bay. How can a person find what you are bidding on?

--

The "Stalker" is more than likely using the eBay Advanced search Items by Bidder feature to see the items you have bid on.

ebay.com → Advanced Search → By Seller → By Bidder → ENTER bidder's user ID → CHECK to Include completed listings (last 30 days) → SEARCH

Results are sorted oldest to newest. Active auctions are in bold face.

Try it. The ebay advanced search does not give you any of the current items by bidder. The way the advanced search function is presented by ebay is deliberately misleading. You can search by bidder, and you can avoid checking the box for completed items, expecting to receive current information, but you will always get zero results, as if that bidder had no live bids, even if they are actively bidding on many items.

--

The "Stalker" is more than likely using the eBay Advanced search Items by Bidder feature to see the items you have bid on.

ebay.com → Advanced Search → By Seller → By Bidder → ENTER bidder's user ID → CHECK to Include completed listings (last 30 days) → SEARCH

Results are sorted oldest to newest. Active auctions are in bold face.

When I do what you describe, I just get completed auctions. No ending dates past the present time with the exceptions of BINs that they bought. Are you doing this on ebay.com or another countries eBay?

I used to use esnipe (I don't mind the small fee, as long as its not a high dollar item), but it sometimes fails to place a bid for me, for some reason.

I use gixen.com for all my ebay sniping. If you want extra protection it cost only $6/year for a mirror server, so it places second bid if 1st server fails to execute the bid.

Thanks! (thumbs u

I'll check it out.

Ha ha - you should place high bids on coins offered for sale by one of us! :)

I really should!! Just afraid he's gonna catch on and I'll be stuck with coins at 4x FMV lol

When I do what you describe, I just get completed auctions. No ending dates past the present time with the exceptions of BINs that they bought. Are you doing this on ebay.com or another countries eBay?

I'm doing it on ebay.com. I used the eBay Bidder ID of someone currently bidding on one of my auctions. I was signed into my account when I did this, but clear as day I can see their past bids, the item they are bidding on from me and another item they are bidding on (not from me) that still has 5 days left in the auction.

Curious now . . .

I logged out and try the same and it takes me to the login page. Login and same results. Perhaps I can see their other bids since they have placed a bid with me on one of my items?

If someone wants to PM me a user ID that has bids placed at auction I will see if I can replicate.

A CS Member PM'd an ID that is currently bidding on 6 items as well as an additional ID that had placed a bid on one of their items at auction.

Indeed, I cannot see what either ID is actively bidding on. Results show only closed auctions or BIN purchases.

So apologies for wasting time and back to square one as to how the stalker finds yonico's active bids. (shrug)

Apparently the stalker has utilized an alternative search method, evading ebay obstruction. It would be interesting to discover that alternate method. Any ideas?

When I was playing poker someone got a trojan or keylogger onto my laptop through my following links at the 2+2 forum without adequate antivirus software.

Every once in awhile I could see my mouse move and click with no input from me. I remember once I was watching a live coin auction and heard the bid then win sounds when I was looking in a redbook.

Later someone more knowledgable than me said someone from a remote location could see everything on my screen as well as take control if they wanted to. (They cleaned the laptop up - it was held hostage with a virus blocking internet usability, and for only $150 their company could sell me the program to remove this virus. I was tempted but decided to get another laptop)

Another explanation is this person bids/buys the same stuff as you and it is just a coincidence.

There were too many flagrant examples for it to be coincidental. The stalker has a method of bypassing ebay's normal search parameters, the technique is out there, it's just a matter of finding the formula, or logging into the specialized web site.

A CS Member PM'd an ID that is currently bidding on 6 items as well as an additional ID that had placed a bid on one of their items at auction.

Indeed, I cannot see what either ID is actively bidding on. Results show only closed auctions or BIN purchases.

So apologies for wasting time and back to square one as to how the stalker finds yonico's active bids. (shrug)

I also came to realize that.

i did 2 searches like these and found some bidding on live items; HOWEVER, i later realized that both searches only worked when i was logged in to this one SPECIFIC account where i had items for sale that these users were bidding on.

i'm pretty sure that's new and that it used to be much easier to find this information out. so maybe on other global ebay accounts it's still something you can do..

Maybe the stalker works for EBay!

that would be an interesting plot twist :o

There were too many flagrant examples for it to be coincidental. The stalker has a method of bypassing ebay's normal search parameters, the technique is out there, it's just a matter of finding the formula, or logging into the specialized web site.

that is absolutely true.

there's no way it is a coincidence. believe me, i thought it was a coincidence AT FIRST, but am now 100% it is not.

Have someone you know put a coin up for sale, when he wins you will have his/her name and address.....MAILMAN

and when i get this information, do what with it?

btw, your response matches your username hm

yonico I only ever did that once and that was to keep you from getting that 1984 toned Libertad from Deerfan. I don't follow you everywhere. :applause:

I think that was you that was wanting that coin. Been a while. You bid that thing up too. I had to pay dearly. :grin:

1986_Libertad_Toned_New_Shot.jpg

yonico I only ever did that once and that was to keep you from getting that 1984 toned Libertad from Deerfan. I don't follow you everywhere. :applause:

I think that was you that was wanting that coin. Been a while. You bid that thing up too. I had to pay dearly. :grin:

hahahaha nice one!

i actually really wanted this one. i love this design.

DeereFan actually beat me to this coin when it was offered for sale by Mumu. and then when he DeereFan sold it, you outbid me. so i lost this coin TWICE :pullhair:

BUT. you wanna know what happened right after that? you would not believe it. i get a PM that reads:

#4557021 - 08/27/13 03:37 PM 1982 Toned Libertads

dadams

Hi Yonico,

I saw you were disappointed in missing that 1982 Libertad offered by Mumu.

I actually have three that I think are nicely toned and thought you may be interested. I'd let them go @ $40.00 each delivered. (I did not get to see what Mumu's sold for)

Here are the links to the images, and I apologize the pics are not very good.

1982 Libertad 001

1982 Libertad 002

1982 Libertad 003

Please let me know your thoughts.

All best,

Doug Adams

HOW AWESOME IS THAT?? that's why i like this side of the street so much better. just like this someone offered me a consolation prize. that was really cool. obviously i grabbed one..

1234_zps01e29885.jpg

unfortunately i somehow misplaced this coin or sold it unintentionally

That is a real good ending to that story. Yes sir, I agree - others looking out for others as in that case.

That coin looks like it has great toning as well. :headbang:

1234_zps01e29885.jpg

unfortunately i somehow misplaced this coin or sold it unintentionally

Too funny. That means you either have too many coins or are getting old!!!

In reading this thread, I see people keep mentioning a search "By Bidder". I haven't had that option available to me for a long time. Is it just me ?

Paul

"Stalking" is against the law, this is not the right term here. "Shadow", "follow", etc. may be the right word.

I did not realize it was possible to follow successful bidders, I wish this were possible. I checked out what a low baller was able to snap up from me in stupid no reserve auctions and then sought how he had been doing it with others. It taught me to never run currency and most numismatics in no reserve auctions. Even gold CAC coins etc., may not get the bidders and you end up selling for Bluesheet.

In reading this thread, I see people keep mentioning a search "By Bidder". I haven't had that option available to me for a long time. Is it just me ?

Paul

go to advanced search

hit by seller on the left

then hit by bidder which is just underneath by seller after hit

Paul

go to advanced search

hit by seller on the left

then hit by bidder which is just underneath by seller after hit

Holy cow ! You're right !

Thank you !

Paul

never had that problem, and hope I never do, but what you can do, is:

Place a watch on the coins you are interested in.

Place your bid in the final moments of the auction.

He/or she will never know you were interested, and you will have equal chances of winning.

good luck!

"Stalking" is against the law, this is not the right term here. "Shadow", "follow", etc. may be the right word.

I did not realize it was possible to follow successful bidders, I wish this were possible. I checked out what a low baller was able to snap up from me in stupid no reserve auctions and then sought how he had been doing it with others. It taught me to never run currency and most numismatics in no reserve auctions. Even gold CAC coins etc., may not get the bidders and you end up selling for Bluesheet.

"stalker" was put in quotes for this reason.

he did not do anything illegal, and that's why i never sent him a message to "confront" him, but only a friendly message. he never replied, and it's ok..

Hey Yoni ... you don't have a stalker. Now This Is A Stalker! :eek:

i've read nearly every message on that thread ATS, and i was stunned at how stupid people can be, and how much energy people spend on like this.

i think Shane did good in dropping out of the thread early and not dragging into the argument - let the a$$%^&* show everyone how ridiculous he was.

Shane has his strong reputation with collectors on both forums, and one crazy costumer would not affect it...

in addition, i was surprised that PCGS didn't ban this looney earlier.. seems like getting banned there is pretty easy, for the smallest and most weird reasons, but when someone goes full crazy and cusses and threatens people on the boards, the moderators suddenly disappear..

never had that problem, and hope I never do, but what you can do, is:

Place a watch on the coins you are interested in.

Place your bid in the final moments of the auction.

He/or she will never know you were interested, and you will have equal chances of winning.

good luck!

like mentioned before, using the watch list, or bidding at the end of the auction, failed me on occasion, and that's why i stopped doing it.

also get caught in the "bidder fever" sometimes when i do that, and end up raising my max bid again and again close to the closing of the auction.

I'm now using a snipe bidder, or use my second account to bid. it's been a lot better lately :grin: