• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Incorrectly Labeled NGC certified coin

13 posts in this topic

I've recently acquired an MS69 1986 $1 Silver Eagle. Well, at least that is what the NGC package states. However, the actual coin in the package is a 1996 Silver Eagle. Aside from the obvious, what does this mean? Was the package tampered with pre-acquisition? Does the mislabeling include some inherent collectibility?

Regards

Mike

In my experiences, although this is a RARE occurrence; I have seen this happen before and the coin had not been tampered with.

Assuming such is the case with your coin and there is no evidence of the holder being tampered with----these slabs are not really collectible.

In my experience, they are actually MORE difficult to sell, because you can't enter them into the Registry properly. It happens ATS, too.

First, welcome to the neighborhood, Mike!

I believe this is classified as a "mechanical error", and there is no value associated with it.

Now, if NGC had hired me to input the data on the inserts, these mistaqkes wouo;dd be very commonplacwe3.

You can submit it for correction.

Chris

Welcome to the forum.

First, check to see if the coin you actually ended up with is worth as much as the one you thought you were buying.

If not, you might want to return it or request the difference in value from the seller.

If you decide to keep it, you can get it corrected and re-holdered by NGC, though you might be out the cost of round trip postage - someone else here or at NGC can tell you if that is the case.

Some people buy/collect error holders/grading labels, but I doubt that yours is worth any type of a premium.

Best of luck.

I have the very rare 1860 PF 66 Cameo Franklin Half Dollar slab myself. It's an interesting novelty which I'm told NGC would be happy to reholder at no charge but I think it's cool as hell.

Not worth much of a premium.

Welcome to town.

Well as I see it, the 86' is worth about $70 where the 96' is worth about a $100 by Ngc price guide. Looks like you got a more valued coin from the deal.

That's funny, yesterday I received a 1998 Canadian silver dollar that celebrates the 125th anniversary of the RCMP but it was labelled as RCM 90th Anniversary. I think who ever submitted it wrote it down wrong and it didn't get spotted.I am keeping it with the wrong label but got NGC to change the records so it fits the right slot in my collection.

Yes, I believe a lot of the label errors are a result of submitters making errors on the submission forms. I submitted this rare "1979" morgan dollar. It took me months of looking at it before I realized the mistake. I looked at my submission copy and sure enough I wrote 1979 by mistake. I can see how it slips by, these guys look at a lot if coins and dates every day. Im surprised more don't slip thru. I decided to keep mine as is even though Max from NGC has said ge would take care of the mistake if I sent it back. If I ever sell it, I will get it corrected.

Nick

IMG_8192_0647.jpg

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

With these "mechanical errors" NGC will fix them for free at a show where it's grading onsite. This service typically ends after Thursday or by noon on Friday, so bring the coin to our booth before then. We may not be able to fix world coins onsite, since we don't always have the right core piece (the white thingy).

A few years ago I sent two 1999-S Silver Proof sets in for grading. When both came back the order was filled with mechanical errors.

Virtually every quarter and half dollar is mislabeled.

Both halves say Connecticut

One Pennsylvania quarter is correct while the other says fifty cents

Both Georgia's say New Jersey

Both Connecticut's say Georgia

One New Jersey's says Pennsylvania, the other says fifty cents

Both Delaware's are correct

I traded one set to a member here while I still have the other.

Yeah it is rare that NGC makes that mistake but it happens. From collecting Roosevelt dimes, I can tell you that there are at least three 1953-S Roosevelts (with sequential certification numbers) out there that are slabbed as 1952-S. I used to own one of them. Also. I have five 1963-D Roosevelts from the Binion collection that are all slabbed as 1963-P coins. They make mistakes. But my guess is that they make very very very few mistakes on a percentage basis.