• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ebay - Coins must grade the same at NGC as PCGS ?

19 posts in this topic

Saw this on CoinTalk... Thought it might be of interest here...I cant believe Ebay is allowing this but...

New Ebay Policy ?

Ebay is requiring a seller of a PCGS Coin with a CAC sticker to give the buyer a 2 month return policy so he can submit the coin to NGC. If the coin doesnt come back as UCAM he can return if even though its a PCGS DCAM coin.

With the way the two TPG companies are reputed to decline straight crosses, one declining to cross the other shouldn't mean squat. The only way to truly verify would be to break it out and send it in raw. Even then it is just the luck of the draw on whether you got the right grader on the right day. And if that happened (the buyer did break it out and submit it raw), I would hope ebay would make the buyer get the coin back into a CAC'd PCGS DCAM holder before it could be returned.

Reading the comments from that link, I am inclined to agree with a poster who said it was likely a clueless CS person who allowed it and not a policy change.

The sky is NOT falling, in most likelihood......

i think it's a bad stupid mistake on ebay's side, and i would be furious if ebay made me accept such return for that reason..

P.S

one commenter hinted to the OP that :

jware117 (271 ) :

"There are many other GREAT places to sell your coin COLLECTIONS." lol

seems like more and more coin sellers are leaving eBay.. shame on ebay!

Why would Ebay require this if the coin was never advertised as an NGC UCAM or there was no discussion of crossing the coin in the description ?

As has already been stated, probably because one person at Ebay was confused and not because of an imbecilic policy change. ;) And even that assumes that what was claimed/reported was accurate.

It's not a significant issue as others have pointed out.

CT is not a great site if you review the comments in general and the disagreements which strike me as petty often though there are knowledgeable people who chime in from time to time.

Mark brings up another great point.......it may not be reported accurately by the person complaining.....

How many times have we heard that the buyer agrees to the purchase IF the seller will agree to something (ie...sending it in to a TPGS and keeping it contingent on outcome)?

There is something like that posted this week on the PCGS boards where the buyer is complaining the seller won't take the coin back after acetoning the coin when received.

Could easily be missing info in the OP's linked case.

That was "Fade to Black". So he wants to be the expert and treat the coin chemically, and if it does not turn out as he wants, seeks full reimbursement for the result?? 84JwcZ7.gif This sounds a little presumptuous especially if it was an auction where the under-bidder would never be interested in it since it is uncertified and an unknown quantity. cwvZqec.gif When I buy raw coins I almost never take them out of the original flips, holders, etc. though some say that it is easy to dip coins to get rid of pvc, etc. I send to the grading service or NCS.

That was "Fade to Black". So he wants to be the expert and treat the coin chemically, and if it does not turn out as he wants, seeks full reimbursement for the result?? 84JwcZ7.gif This sounds very presumptuous especially if it was an auction where the under-bidder would never be interested in it since it is uncertified and an unknown quantity. cwvZqec.gif When I buy raw coins I almost never take them out of the original flips, holders, etc. though some say that it is easy to dip coins to get rid of pvc, etc. I send to the grading service or NCS.

My advice is to give coins from flips an acetone bath/rinse before submitting. There are a number of so called "safety" flips that sometimes contain trace amounts of vinyl and are not the same as the pure Mylar "SaFlip" sold by, e.g., PCGS store despite the misleading name of the former. There is an enormous amount of confusion between the differences, so I wouldn't risk it. There is no such thing as safe vinyl as far as I am concerned.

Saw this on CoinTalk... Thought it might be of interest here...I cant believe Ebay is allowing this but...

New Ebay Policy ?

Ebay is requiring a seller of a PCGS Coin with a CAC sticker to give the buyer a 2 month return policy so he can submit the coin to NGC. If the coin doesnt come back as UCAM he can return if even though its a PCGS DCAM coin.

I'd think IF this is a new policy, its a VERY dangerous step to be taking. This type of policy could be attached to any certified coin and make anyone selling them liable for up to 2 months for any transaction. If a coin doesn't cross to another TPG, one way or the other, the seller would be forced to refund all funds. I don't see many sellers wanting to have their money tied up that long and I don't think there'd be anymore certified coins being sold there for to long.

Yeah eBay CS sucks. They removed one of my auctions once saying that I violated their photo policy. They said that all slabbed coins need to show the full front and back of the slab. When i looked at the policy, there is no such policy at all. I tried to argue with them about wrongfully removing my listing asking for my listing fees back. Never got a response.

But as far as the NGC and PCGS agreeing on grade, I don't think that could even happen considering some of the offical definitions of some of their designation. For example, on Roosevelt dimes, the NGC definition of FT and the PCGS definition of FB are very close. But they are not equal. NGC requires the vertical lines to be complete and uninterrupted. PCGS only requires the vertical band lines to be full and complete. Bottom line is, their standards are different with certain things so they'll never agree on every grade.

Moreover, I don't think eBay understands that just because NGC or PCGS says a coin has a grade of MS whatever, that doesn't exactly make it so. NGC and PCGS are not the Alpha and Omega of numismatics. They're just currently the most successful companies. Coin grading is still done by human beings. And humans can make mistakes, overlook things, exaggerate, etc. If NGC or PCGS ever begin to use imaging and computers to grade coins, and they start to use the same standards, I'll change my stance.

Yeah eBay CS sucks. They removed one of my auctions once saying that I violated their photo policy. They said that all slabbed coins need to show the full front and back of the slab. When i looked at the policy, there is no such policy at all. I tried to argue with them about wrongfully removing my listing asking for my listing fees back. Never got a response.

But as far as the NGC and PCGS agreeing on grade, I don't think that could even happen considering some of the offical definitions of some of their designation. For example, on Roosevelt dimes, the NGC definition of FT and the PCGS definition of FB are very close. But they are not equal. NGC requires the vertical lines to be complete and uninterrupted. PCGS only requires the vertical band lines to be full and complete. Bottom line is, their standards are different with certain things so they'll never agree on every grade.

Moreover, I don't think eBay understands that just because NGC or PCGS says a coin has a grade of MS whatever, that doesn't exactly make it so. NGC and PCGS are not the Alpha and Omega of numismatics. They're just currently the most successful companies. Coin grading is still done by human beings. And humans can make mistakes, overlook things, exaggerate, etc. If NGC or PCGS ever begin to use imaging and computers to grade coins, and they start to use the same standards, I'll change my stance.

At one time, Ebay did have a policy which required full obverse and reverse images of the coin in the holder. I think they did away with it about 2 years ago?

yeah someone else told me that when it happened. but this just took place 2 months ago.

by the way, i just talked to joel gabrelow a few days ago about a consignment. so maybe we'll be talking soon.

At one time, Ebay did have a policy which required full obverse and reverse images of the coin in the holder. I think they did away with it about 2 years ago?

I have noticed sometimes only 1-side being shown in pics.

But again...if someone is dumb enough to buy a coin online without even seeing pics of both sides...... doh!