• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

$1 Gold - Once Again Different Pictures

4 posts in this topic

I have compared this coin to Photograde ATS, and the ANA Grading Standards, and compared to another couple of examples that I have found and this coin just seems to be more than a AU-53

I have better pictures (compared to my pictures before that were blurry) and although they are small does this not look more like a AU-55 or even possibly a AU-58?

I am keying in on the hair - not only the detail in the curls but the hair details under the LIBERTY tiara as well as the strike on the stars.

1849_Dollar.jpg

To be AU 50 there should be no more than a trace of wear on the headband and nearly full luster according to the red/blue book. The wear in the hair seems just a bit excessive for AU 55 but I think the luster breaks are the biggest reason it misses.

It's still a great original coin!!

Luster is one of the keys to grading these coins. The pictures of this one make it look a bit dull although I do see some mint surface in the protected areas.

From what I can see, I think that AU-53 is perhaps a bit generous, and I don't see how this coin could grade higher. It simply has too many marks, too much wear and not enough luster.

The AU gold dollars I have are all from the Charlotte and Dahlonega mints, but since a couple of them as well made, they can serve as examples. This 1853-D is a very nice AU-58.

1853-DAUDollarO_zps70412433.jpg1853-DAUDollarR_zpsd49f4448.jpg

This 1853-C gold dollar is a NGC graded AU-55.

1853-CO_zpse0ffbda5.jpg1853-CR_zpsd2ad859d.jpg

Both of these coins have a good amount of luster, which is a requirement for the higher AU grades.

I thank you both for the opinions.

I was considering hanging on to this one even though it is lower grade. Just thought, with the clearer pictures, it may have been a keeper.

I guess it is really to late for me to hang on to it anyway since it has been bid up already.

Thaks again.