• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bill Jones or others - Bronze Preservation

6 posts in this topic

I picked this piece up the other day and even with the spots on it I still like it very much.

Question is, what are the spots or is that some kind of corrosion or pitting?

Is there a way to preserve this or should I just let it age gracefully.

This thing is actually huge. Had to extend my copy stand all the way to the top with a 105 mm lens to get it all into the picture, and even then it barely fit.

--------------

GW_Capitol_Cornerstone_Medal_1993.jpg

IMG_0307a.jpg

I have never seen this piece before, but I'm guessing that is something that was issued by the Masons given the presence of a stonecutter wearing a Masonic apron on the obverse. This piece is very odd because it appears to have some post strike pitting from corrosion, yet the color is uniform and looks like the original finish. If the piece had corroded and had had the corroded metal removed it should not look like this.

My advice would be to leave it alone. I don't think that you can do anything to improve it. It should be stored in dry place in a non PVC medal flip. You can buy these medal sized flips, but they aren't cheap.

This piece is very odd because it appears to have some post strike pitting from corrosion, yet the color is uniform and looks like the original finish. If the piece had corroded and had had the corroded metal removed it should not look like this.

Yes I do believe it to be the original finish and it may have been stored laying on the reverse and the obverse showing initial stage of toning. I forgot that I now have a microscope and I may very well be able to determine if that is surface toning or corrosion and pitting.

My advice would be to leave it alone. I don't think that you can do anything to improve it. It should be stored in dry place in a non PVC medal flip. You can buy these medal sized flips, but they aren't cheap.

I have it just laying on it's reverse in an empty 2013 ASE Two Coin OGP Box (the kind with the felt interior) and I have a small silica pack inside that box. I will do as you suggest and just leave it be. It is not rare by no means, I would imagine, so in a way, the speckles add a bit of character to it. :grin:

Thanks

I agree that you should leave it alone. It would be too easy to destroy the piece's originality.

Not going to touch it. ;)

Best to leave it alone. The manufacturer could possibly refinish it to original specifications, but it would cost more than buying a pristine example.