• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dime i got in change. .is this a mint error?

7 posts in this topic

so i got this dime in change today.

looked a bit different so i took a picture (i know it's a crappy pic, took with my phone and no proper lighting).

looks like the left side of the obverse has a wide rim, while the right side has very little to no rim at all..

it's probably super common, but just got me curious.

is this a mint error? if it is, what is it called?

IMG_1854_zps681bf3d8.jpg

If the reverse is normal then it is a Mis-Aligned Die (MAD). A minor error that has no value unless it is so far mis-aligned that part of the design is missing.

If both side look like that, and in the same place and direction then it is most likely an uncentered broadstrike (The reeding would be missing as well) This is caused by the collar not being in place and the planchet was not centered between the dies.

If both sides look like that in the same place and direction but part of the design is missing off the edge of the coin, then it is an off-center error.

I'm assuming the reverse looks normal. If so, that is extremely common on dimes and pennies, and very common on nickels as well. I posted a thread a while ago about these, which you may find useful:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=41&Number=3439941

Thank you guys!

Yes, the reverse looks normal.

And thanks physics-fan, that was a very interesting thread. The half dime was cool!

Hmmm..Maybe the dime in change was an error -- you were supposed to get 15-cents and the store only gave you 10-cents?