• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do you think there's enough interest for a coin-focused T.V. show?

20 posts in this topic

...like Comic Book Men. That seems to be working. There's already three seasons.

I would have never thought there'd be enough interest to make a show about a pawn shop. Yet here we are with like five pawn store-based shows on T.V.

I think it would be hard to have a show that's just dedicated to coins. Unless it was telemarketers trying to rip you off, the coin would have to be an honest B&M shop. That problem is there's probably not enough customer activity that you see in the pawn shop shows to keep a show alive from week to week.

Having given many poorly attended presentations in conjunction with shows and conventions, I don't see how a regular TV show on coins could make it. This might sound cynical, but there mostly two things that motivate people to attend coin presentations, a free book or the topic, "How to Make Money With Coins." Any other topic is of little interest.

Collectors come to shows to add to their collections. Most of the other stuff doesn't interest them.

This is why I was trying to figure out the number of active collectors in the US in another thread.

I agree coins do need their own show. On one of the cable channels there's a show about 2 guys in Vegas that go to thrift stores and buy anything from toys to clothes and then resell it on Ebay.

If "thrifting" can have a show so can numismatics. There are more big stories in our industry than most other hobbies (ie., the Saddle Ridge Gold Hoard, coins selling for over $1 million, the 1913 Nickels ect) that make national news.

I have a production company that can shoot & edit the pilot. And I know show runners in Los Angeles that can pitch the show to several networks. I even have a friend that produces two shows for Showtime. What would be needed to make it work is a store or coin business that would be interested in being the subject of the show AND - here's the biggie, several built in advertisers that want to put ad dollars into the show.

Its an easy sale to a cable network if they know there are already 3-5 advertisers that are ready to place ads on the show. I dont know though if any company here can afford to or would want to do national advertising. Perhaps NGC and PCGS, maybe Heritage, maybe the ANA, maybe Ebay or even a home shopping network if they coin afford it - but for the most part coins are a local business not a national one.

But a well produced show could really attract a lot of new collectors to the industry. It would be a win-win for everyone.

I agree with you. I think it is a non-starter despite the number of dopey reality TV shows on today. Even with existing collectors, I don't believe there is any critical mass that are interested enough in enough common themes to attract a vaible audience, much less the public.

The example given of the gold hoard, this sounds like an episode that would have run on the History Channel in the past. An episode on the 1913 LHN (or 1804 dollar, 1933 Saint), I don't see that the non-collecting public would have any interest in that, only some segment of existing collectors. I dumped cable TV almost two years ago (there is nothing I want to watch except for a few sports) but when I travel for work, there are only reality shows on during prime time. If the History Channel still shows any actual history, it must be during off peak hours.

I'm not sure what that comic theme show broadcasts, but its probably perceived as being more relevant to the lives of the general public than anything related to coins. The movies have certainly been successful at the box office.

If someone wants to do this, maybe they could make it work on YouTube.

This idea is interesting to all of us on the boards, but there is absolutely no way it would be successful or even remotely catch on. I keep thinking of a show like Pawn Stars. That show has some really cool items come through the door. All of the items are different and can relate to a bigger audience. A show with JUST coins/bullion would get boring to the slob sitting on the couch.

If the show didn't go off the premise of Pawn Stars or Comicbook Men, and played more on the history/numismatics, I think it would have even less of a shot of catching on. That might work for, say, a one episode "docunentary" on numismatics, but not a running series.

What sells reality shows is not the subject - its the characters.

If the audience finds the characters interesting they will watch. Otherwise shows like 'Hardcore Pawn" 'Pawnstars" "Comic Book Men" "Auction Hunters" "Duck Dynasty" "American Pickers" "American Restoration" "Chasing Classic Cars" "Lizard Lick Towing" and all the other "scripted reality shows" that have basically the same plot each and every episode would be done after 2 seasons.

I have been in several meetings with show runners and network producers - they are looking for characters more than anything else. Subject is important but its not first and foremost.

If you dont believe me - there was a show on A&E called "Parking Wars."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parking_Wars

Is anyone really interested in parking tickets ? No one that I know but that show had a 4 year run - which is quite surprising.

With the right editing and the right set up you can make anything look sexy or interesting. Also, there are several celebrities that are coin collectors that I have seen attend auctions in LA. Thats an angle that coins have that some of the other shows dont.

At one of the Goldberg auctions I sat next to and talked with Jack Black.

I think there is potential interest -- and potential ad selling -- for such a coin show but you'd have to have lots of different features to appeal to a diverse coin audience:

(1) Reviews from recent major coin shows. Maybe a special report on a local coin show of decent size like Parsippany or Westchester in the NY area.

(2) Focus on any mega-shows like the one in NYC in January, FUN, etc.

(3) Interview with Average Joe or Famous Collectors...a segment that lasts about 5-7 minutes....tell how they made $$$ in their coins or just enjoyed it.

(4) A Bullion Segment: for those more interested in gold/silver, maybe a recurring feature with a Wall Street guy on the outlook for gold/silver....technical guys and those who follow the stocks involved in the sector should be of interest.

(5) Special interviews with guys like RWB, Bowers, folks from NGC/PCGS, etc. to give insight on stuff they discuss at major trade shows or what is of interest to them now.

(6) Any Grey Sheet pricing trends of note.

The show is going to have to appeal to a RANGE of coin collectors: the experts we have here...the newbies just getting started.....features on how to invest/properly buy some of the more popular coins (Saints, Morgans, Pennies, Nickels, Halfs, etc.) would also be of interest.

The audience for such a weekly show could certainly be sustainable from an audience perspective. I think it could also do enough advertising from the firms in the business -- bullion sellers, numismatic sellers, PCGS/NCG, etc. -- that it would be financially viable.

I'm not saying such a show is going to have a 10 or 20 year run...but I definitely think it could get a few years or more of interest. If coins themselves or bullion turn hot, the show could spike in attendance.

BTW, I used to be a cable/media analyst and still follow the industry. :grin:

Having given many poorly attended presentations in conjunction with shows and conventions

Define 'poorly attended' for us newbies.

The most poorly attended was at an Early American Coppers convention, which included the members of the John Reich who collect early silver and gold. I prepared a presentation on the early half dimes from 1792 to 1805. My collection is #2 in the NGC registry, and you can check it out here.

Bill's early half dimes

I had Power Point with photos and illustrations. Three people showed up, and one of them was the guy who video tapes numismatic events and sells the DVDs and the other was my wife.

I finally landed a spot at one of the FUN educational forums a couple years ago. My topic was "A 1795 Year Set" which included all of the 1795 dated coins from the half cent to the $10 gold piece. I drew about 25 collectors, but was not enough for me to ever be invited to speak at FUN again. Once more, I had a Power Point and a group of very nice 1795 dated coins to show. If I had conducted a FREE raffle for one them I might have done better. ;)

What sells reality shows is not the subject - its the characters.

I would screw it down one more notch. What makes all the reality shows popular? It's not the characters, it's the DRAMA. The characters create it, but it's the "real life" drama people tune into watch.

How can you add drama to something as "dry" as the coin hobby? Maybe coin auction drama, but not sure what else.

FWIW, if a reality series did air specifically around the coin industry, I would tune it to watch. I'm not sure if I would continue to watch. That would be based on the quality of the show.

Nope. Not enough variety of subject matter to build an audience.

I disagree....if it gets too niche-oriented like Bill's talk above, yeah, not enough variety.

You need to appeal to a BROAD audience: bullion investors...graded coins....ancient coins....U.S. coins from the last century.....U.S. coins closer to the Revolutionary War....etc.

There's enough pure gold/silver bugs that if you bring in enough of them you may turn some of them into crossover investors. I am proof of that as are some of my friends.

I had Power Point with photos and illustrations. Three people showed up, and one of them was the guy who video tapes numismatic events and sells the DVDs and the other was my wife. I finally landed a spot at one of the FUN educational forums a couple years ago. My topic was "A 1795 Year Set" which included all of the 1795 dated coins from the half cent to the $10 gold piece. I drew about 25 collectors, but was not enough for me to ever be invited to speak at FUN again. Once more, I had a Power Point and a group of very nice 1795 dated coins to show. If I had conducted a FREE raffle for one them I might have done better. ;)

I'm sorry your hard work didn't get a better reward. I know the feeling, having given talks in public before. You just can't predict.

Your topic was very specific and would appeal to pretty-much hard-core numismatists. I wonder what your attendance would be at a Coin Show or the general public if you had a talk like "How To Make Money Investing In Gold Saint-Gaudens Coins" -- something with a bit more wider appeal.

Dramatizing coins and related material is difficult and expensive. The “reality" genre is cheap and only requires editing out any rational or mature behavior. There is also competition within the program: most crabs caught; most gold dredged, most irradiated rocks, etc. and the hint of danger. ("OK folks," says the narrator,"we have a hotdog grease stain on aisle 800. Can dealer Joe Fizzbottom make it through without droppng his 1909 proof set?" says the narrator. "Dipped 1829 copper on aisle 500...the anti-acid squad is responding.")

Maybe if a bunch of hotel coin buyers would participate in the “Little Old Lady” ripoff – or a store front dealer, or vest-pocket trauma…? Nearly everybody likes gold rush stories, but one gold coin looks like another to most people, and anything about grading would be like the daily Quantum Physics News Hour.

If you want to build a program proposal, imitate what is successful – not “It Takes A Chorus.”

I enjoy watching PBS's Antiques Road Show - different locations, drawing in the public, watching the shock on people's faces when they learn they have a $50,000 painting they was handed down by grandma, and the overall general variety of material that is brought in.

What makes this show compelling is the variety of stuff shown (clearly screened), the idea of discovery and unlocking of unknown value, and seeing the reactions of the public. The usual local museum tie in for the city where the road show is held adds additional spice. The theme is always about market worth.

I'm with the previous posters who state that having it coin only will not appeal to a wide enough audience. Maybe if coins were combined with other rare stuff that is collected might make it more interesting.

I have thought that same thing. I wish there was.

There are two different shows about gem hunters, one on Travel and one on Discovery. I think if a show about rocks can make it then certainly a show about money would do alright. It would definitely get a lot more exposure to the hobby which would be pretty cool.

Do you think there's enough interest for a coin-focused T.V. show?

yes but it haS TO BE PRODUCED BY HOLLYWOOD and usher

have justin bieber, beance, p. ditty along with 50 cent

and they go out and go around the country to local coin shops

and look at comment on and buy coins!!