• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please report listing.

46 posts in this topic

I reported it to one of the backoffice channels. Lets see if I still have the magic touch on these. I was getting them down within 12 hours of finding them when I was active a couple years ago.

What is wrong with the coin ?

It's overgraded by the guys who put it into the fake PCGS slab.

Wow...how'd you realize it's a FAKE PCGS slab ?

EDIT: I just compared the 'fake' Eagle and a real one from Wikepedia and I can't tell the difference. You guys have much sharper eyes than me !

Wow...how'd you realize it's a FAKE PCGS slab ?

EDIT: I just compared the 'fake' Eagle and a real one from Wikepedia and I can't tell the difference. You guys have much sharper eyes than me !

The font is completely wrong. Too bold and compact.

lf.jpeg$_57.JPG

The font is completely wrong. Too bold and compact.

I can't tell from the picture I am comparing it to OR you guys have seen so many that you can tell tiny differences like that.

This is scary.... most people would assume the PCGS holder is legit and not even scan for these imperfections that I doubt they'd see anyway.

If you look at the fake the the grade information is in the center. The real slab has the grade info nearer the top.

The cert numbers are more compressed in the fake whereas the cert numbers take up more space in the real slab. See how much closer to the end of the bar code they are compared to the fake. There is more space between the numbers in the real slab. Not to mention a different font.

I've reported this POS for 3 days now and it's still up. I would hate to see it end and another unsuspecting buyer get screwed. Maybe if more reports are submitted this will be terminated.

ebaylink

pos_zpsa2069d32.jpg

Plus, the eagle is upside down!

If you look at the fake the the grade information is in the center. The real slab has the grade info nearer the top. The cert numbers are more compressed in the fake whereas the cert numbers take up more space in the real slab. See how much closer to the end of the bar code they are compared to the fake. There is more space between the numbers in the real slab. Not to mention a different font.

I thought the Font and Compression were talking about the coin !!!!

Thanks !!

it has a 1921 eagle with a CC mintmark - awesome mule

So you're saying they mixed and matched -- no Carson Cities were made that late and the Eagle is from the 1920's ?

BTW...can't you just contact PCGS and make sure the serial number on the front of the slab is legit ?

it has a 1921 eagle with a CC mintmark - awesome mule

So you're saying they mixed and matched -- no Carson Cities were made that late and the Eagle is from the 1920's ?

BTW...can't you just contact PCGS and make sure the serial number on the front of the slab is legit ?

With most of the fake slabs, they've copied the cert number, so if you go to verify the cert at PCGS, it will say 1881 CC Morgan MS65. Yes, they are that deceptive.

The Carson City mint has a "rich" history. They were shut down once for a while, re-opened then closed down for good in the 1890's. Accounting irregularities/theft. Last Morgan made was 1893.

If you look at the fake the the grade information is in the center. The real slab has the grade info nearer the top.

Got it...that I can see. Would never have noticed that if you guys hadn't told me.

The cert numbers are more compressed in the fake whereas the cert numbers take up more space in the real slab. See how much closer to the end of the bar code they are compared to the fake. There is more space between the numbers in the real slab. Not to mention a different font.

I see that too....THANKS !!!

Question: What can you do with the number and bar codes at the bottom ? Can you go online to PCGS and look up when it was graded and that it's not a made-up cert number and/or barcode ?

With most of the fake slabs, they've copied the cert number, so if you go to verify the cert at PCGS, it will say 1881 CC Morgan MS65. Yes, they are that deceptive.The Carson City mint has a "rich" history. They were shut down once for a while, re-opened then closed down for good in the 1890's. Accounting irregularities/theft. Last Morgan made was 1893.

Gotcha...you guys are great, I'm learning alot.

Any of you have financial questions, I can reciprocate. :grin: (thumbs u

Question: What can you do with the number and bar codes at the bottom ? Can you go online to PCGS and look up when it was graded and that it's not a made-up cert number and/or barcode ?

With the CoinFacts app on your iPhone (I'm not sure if it also works with Android) you can scan the bar code and it will show you the PCGS/CoinFacts information about that particular certified coin. I just tried with one of mine and it works.

With the CoinFacts app on your iPhone (I'm not sure if it also works with Android) you can scan the bar code and it will show you the PCGS/CoinFacts information about that particular certified coin. I just tried with one of mine and it works.

I just checked the bar codes of the two slabs in this thread.

The real slab worked, but the fake did not.

Oh that's cool.....hey, any Android/Galaxy S4 owners out here ? I have an S4 but am as clueless on utilizing apps as I am detecting counterfeit coins. If this CoinFacts app thing works, I'll download it and try and use it.

I'll check the Galaxy S4 message boards or Google it to see if I have any luck. I pretty much just use my phone for phone calls and Internet surfing, though I have the APMEX metal prices app and Ebay/Amazon apps loaded, too.

CoinFacts is PCGS ? They have it !! (thumbs u But it's not free....$2.99 for a 7-day trial, not sure how much to keep it permanently but if it's reasonable I will get it.

Do you guys use this when you goto coin shows and dealers ?

CoinFacts is PCGS ? They have it !! (thumbs u But it's not free....$2.99 for a 7-day trial, not sure how much to keep it permanently but if it's reasonable I will get it.

Do you guys use this when you goto coin shows and dealers ?

I was very pleasantly surprised that it works with bar codes seen from the computer monitor.

I've reported this POS for 3 days now and it's still up. I would hate to see it end and another unsuspecting buyer get screwed. Maybe if more reports are submitted this will be terminated.

ebaylink

pos_zpsa2069d32.jpg

Plus, the eagle is upside down!

I don't get it?

they frequently get barcodes wrong

it is an Interleaved 2 of 5 format

which just has 2 sizes narrow and wide (bar or space)