• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Buffalo...... What do you think....

14 posts in this topic

I know this is one of the more common date buffs in high grade.. but I think I got a steal and cherry picked a good one....... It is a 1938 D MS 66??

Here are some pics.. take a look and you decide...

640860-1938dsweet.jpg

640860-1938dsweet.jpg.4684d7220a798c298c2850bca6d3dff2.jpg

I have only owned two uncirculated Buffalo nickels in my life and they were both 1938-D's in PCGS MS-66 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I agree nice looking coin....nothing to complain about.

You said you cherry picked it so.....how much are we talking about. I paid about $35-$40 a piece for mine and that was probably 2 or 3 years ago.......just curious if they have appreciated in value since I sold mine 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I picked this baby up for $22.00 but there were some other priced about $30.00 that did not look as nice... This shop had quite a few 38 D's to work with.... I think I got the best one smile.gif

I have only owned two uncirculated Buffalo nickels in my life and they were both 1938-D's in PCGS MS-66 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

How does this one look via the pics.. compared to the 66's you had?

It looks just as nice maybe even a little bit better. For that price....your coins look like 1804 Silver Dollars thumbsup2.gif

Really....that price is fantastic I don't care how many of them are out there.............popular design...better than Gem Mint coin......how can you go wrong. confused-smiley-013.gif

just think of what this coin had to go through to make it this far without getting nicked up..... I think it is just amazing it has made it this far unharmed.....

1938-D

This picture could be larger.

1938-D2

A lot of detail seems to be lost in the hair on this one.

Here's another that has been overgraded!

Die errosion can be seen on this coin as well.

Here's an interesting one! Let me say that I neither believe nor will deny his story but seeing the huge silver nugget would be interesting!

From what I can see in this picture, it's not an EDS strucked coin.

Here's another where I think the strike could improve!

My focus on Buffalo nickels is not as serious as some of you folks. And I'm aware that nice premiums are paid for "as full of a strike that can be found" concerning many dates in this series and I don't believe the 1938-D is one of them. What does an EDS strucked Buffalo nickel look like? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Leo

Bruce,

It appears to be a nice looking coin from the photo. If the luster is good, and there is no rub that cannot be seen in the image, I think it could grade MS-66.

John

These coins were saved by the thousands, and is THE type coin of the set for many people (myself included).

I have one of these in 7 (I got an attractively toned 6 & it upgraded), so I know a little bit about this date. The surfaces look very clean on your coin. Most of the ones I've seen are golden toned. Strike for the date is good to excellent. How is the luster? You need outstanding luster for a 6. They seem to allow a tick mark or so for the grade.

Question. The tail doesn't look fully split; is this because of the lighting? Also, at around 8:00 on the reverse rim, there appears to be some sort of a small dig. Is this because of the angle at which the image was made? If none of the issues I raised are present and coin has outstanding luster, it may make a 6. Otherwise, no way.

The big spread on this coin is between 6 & 7. It's a $50-$60 coin in 6. How much would you have to pay to get it graded? You paid 4 money for it and the spread between a 4 and 5 is a Happy Meal.

These coins were saved by the thousands, and is THE type coin of the set for many people (myself included).

I have one of these in 7 (I got an attractively toned 6 & it upgraded), so I know a little bit about this date. The surfaces look very clean on your coin. Most of the ones I've seen are golden toned. Strike for the date is good to excellent. How is the luster? You need outstanding luster for a 6. They seem to allow a tick mark or so for the grade.

Question. The tail doesn't look fully split; is this because of the lighting? Also, at around 8:00 on the reverse rim, there appears to be some sort of a small dig. Is this because of the angle at which the image was made? If none of the issues I raised are present and coin has outstanding luster, it may make a 6. Otherwise, no way.

The big spread on this coin is between 6 & 7. It's a $50-$60 coin in 6. How much would you have to pay to get it graded? You paid 4 money for it and the spread between a 4 and 5 is a Happy Meal.

The tail is fully split.. lighting.... on that one.. The rim seems to be fine another lighting issue.....The luster seems good.... I am going send it in a hope for the best smile.gif If it comes back 65.. I will not be crushed.. as this one will likely stay in my collection for some time.... I got some coins I need to send in.... and this should go in with it.....

From the photo, the coin looks MS66 to me. This piece is from a relatively early die state since there is no die erosion apparent on the Indian's neck behind the braid. Also, the hair on the bison's head is mostly full and there is excellent detail centrally, both obverse and reverse. Nice definition of lettering. Many MS67 examples will even have the die erosion that I'm speaking of. Luster, rim dings and hairlines will be key in the final analysis. Those things simply can't be assessed from a photo.

Nice pick up, Bruce.

Hoot

As has been written, these coins come nice, but that doesn't mean that it is any less attractive. I also have one of these in PCGS MS67 that I bought raw for $30 a few years ago. Mine has pastel toning throughout. It seems that the pieces without the characteristic rose or gold toning on them aren't valued as highly by the TPGs. This coin should have blinding luster in order to get an MS67, otherwise, the MS65 or MS66 grades are essentially the same thing.