• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Toned in the Holder ???

32 posts in this topic

Yikes look at the assumptions running wild :)

1. Shane did not start keylargorarecoins as stated, Shane and I were business partners several years ago

2. Images are not juiced, sold my sigma 150 macro lens several years ago and I am currently shooting with the stock D-90 lens hence the blurred image, lack of focus and overall unappealing image.

3. Coins were both just purchased, Peace dollar was purchased at a local show and the Morgan through a local dealer.

Overall thoughts on the matter,

While both appear similar I have seen morgans tone like that previously and will try and find some images. I am always at a loss with the conspiracy theories when it comes to this stuff as I think it is such a stretch. I think if it was so easy to just gas slabs you would see them every where? If these were both in modern holders people would just be saying pcgs got it wrong, I think if someone did doctor the coins the easy thing to do would have been just get them in new holders for a few bucks. I threw them up for auction and I personally feel the market can decide on price, I have had numerous offers in the 300 range on both coins so someone thinks they are worth a premium. I respect the opinions of the people posting in this thread so far but careful judging to much about a coin from a image. Any time something wild or crazy toned comes on the market this is the first reaction and its always the same so I just dont put much thought into fighting it or defending it and I will just let the auctions run and the market can decide. I appreciate all the opinions

So let me ask this then...

Do you believe both of these coins to be naturally toned ? If not, what do you believe ? Or do you not care ?

Im not being judgmental, you have a right to offer for sale any coin you choose I am just curious as to your opinion since you are the only one in this discussion that has seen the coins in hand... which according to you, gives you a distinct advantage.

Havent seen these colors or pattern on a slabbed Peace $ before... especially not PCGS plastic.

Ive always heard that it was possible to tone a coin while it is in an old PCGS rattler holder. I wonder if that is what happened to this coin...

Thoughts ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1923-pcgs-ms-64-rattler-peace-dollar-monster-rainbow-colorful-toning-toned-/231162057759?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item35d255141f

These early holders are much less protective from gasses than modern ones (which are not airtight either). This coin is not natural in appearance, and the slab was likely exposed to gasses or otherwise improperly stored.