• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this quarter missing an outer layer?

11 posts in this topic

I found this Quarter in some of the misc change around here today. It was extremely dark and looked as if it had been buried in the ground or something similar.

I decided to soak it a bit so I could see what was going on with it and as you can see, once the the top soiled layer was removed I noticed that it looked as if it had rusted and that the outer layer, the one that makes the coin shiny, was missing.

Does anyone think they can tell what or why this coin looks like it does? Is this what a coin would look like that was missing its outer nickel clad?

DSCN9230.JPG

Untitled+1688.jpg

DSCN9232.JPG

DSCN9233.JPG

Untitled+1693.jpg

Untitled+1694.jpg

Untitled+1697.jpg

Oh yeah. I meant to put that in there.

It weighs out on my scale at 5.5g and it shows on Coin Explorer that it is supposed to weigh 5.6700g

The coin has had somewhat lengthy acid bath IMO. The surfaces, low weight and general appearance look like a layer of metal has been sort of uniformly removed with a corrosive substance.

Bill, it did have a lengthy acid bath in order for me to remove the extremely black and, well .... what looked like it had been in a fire or something.

I finally made out the 1968 and felt I had nothing to lose just to see what was up with this coin. It did not have a rim defined as a regular Quarter and something just did not feel right about it so after a few minutes in a bath, and then blown dry with compressed air this is what I had.

I don't think I have anything capable of making the rim look like that no matter how long I left it in there.

Of course, that is not to say that someone else might have been experimenting with it but it just seemed very odd.

The texture, the inability to get the black to separate from the coin in acetone, soap and water... nothing, and the edge just felt really weird and that was before the e-zest bath, which was not really very long. Surely not long enough to do that to a coin.

I don't think that this coin is anything unusual. It has all three layers. It's just the one of them appears to be unusually thin, but if you look at a lot of clad quarters you will see that the thickness of the layers is not always equal.

To be a missing layer quarter you need to have one of the copper-nickel layers missing and one of the sides struck on the pure copper part.

OK. It is just very odd and hard to fully describe. I will just stick in inside a little envelope and add it with all the other junk. :grin:

Whatever happened to it occurred after being struck, because of mushy details

I have no idea what it was but could be many things

-sandblasted

-reverse electroplated (used as metal source

-acid bath

-fine grit in rock tumbler

the edge shot shows that it is clad, with the copper core

but also metal is gone as the reeds are mostly flat - no pointy anymore

I have no idea what it was but could be many things

-sandblasted

-reverse electroplated (used as metal source

-acid bath

-fine grit in rock tumbler

the edge shot shows that it is clad, with the copper core

but also metal is gone as the reeds are mostly flat - no pointy anymore

You are very perceptive. Two of the suggested possibilities were what came to my mind while holding it in my hand and studying it. It feels like it was sandblasted and I thought of a rock tumbler as well. I just dismissed those possibilities since I could not imagine for what reason anyone would do the two mentioned.

I don't really think it was a acid bath but the electroplated idea is intriguing. That might explain why it was nearly black in color possibly.

Stick it on eBay, call it very rare, some one will buy it. :whistle: