• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Will NGC holders last 100 years?

20 posts in this topic

I was just checking out my $10 from the Canadian mint hoard and thought about how this coin remained as fresh as the day it was struck 100 years ago housed in a canvas bag. Now in an NGC holder for possibly next the 100 years will it do as well as the first 100.

I was jesting.....Each time the coin is handled the likelihood of damage or change increases. The NGC plastic should provide excellent protection for a long time.

Maybe the slab should be put in a canvas bag?

Roger,

Do you think the canvas bag with the slab inside will fit into an NGC oversized holder?

Chris

Depends on how "oversized" the oversize holder is....It might also fit in the headdress Tonto wore in the awful "Lone Ranger" movie.

I wonder what the specs that NGC does manufacture the slabs for... ??

I think 100 yrs might be just a bit long...

How old are the oldest NGC slabs currently ?

I wonder what the specs that NGC does manufacture the slabs for... ??

I think 100 yrs might be just a bit long...

How old are the oldest NGC slabs currently ?

They're 27 years old.

I too, was concerned about the durability of my slabs.

Thats why i have them slabbed.

1879_%25241_Morgan_Dollar%252C_Judd-1611%252C_Pollock-1807%252C_Low_R_7%252C_PR68_Cameo_NGC__Slab_Obv.jpg

That's awesome! Thank you for the chuckle.

Nice photoshop skills...

1879_%25241_Morgan_Dollar%252C_Judd-1611%252C_Pollock-1807%252C_Low_R_7%252C_PR68_Cameo_NGC__Slab_Obv.jpg

Now if you could just get the holder of the holder to CAC, you'd have a real winner!!!

Will NGC holders last 100 years??????????????

i think so if vacuum sealed in inert plastic with argon gas held in a dark environment with relative humidity below 15% with no vibrations

also to the person that has the large ngc tome and within the tome is the black ngc slab with a st gaudens with the serial number 3333333-333 proof 68

please pm me as i have a serious offer (which i want to discuss) from a collector

into the high 5 to lower 6 figures

thanks!!

Wow :golfclap:

That really made me laugh. Good job! impressive PS work

With polymers like acrylic and polycarbonate materials, a phenomenon frequently occurs called 'crazing'.

When the Van der Waals force is exceeded, it is possible for the slabs to haze at the stress points which indicates the crazing process is occurring. Unlike gold, man made materials are not designed for long term use. Degradation, however slow, is still occurring and is difficult if not impossible to completely halt. It would seem that until the slabs are made out of 'transparent gold' their shelf life will not be immediately extended.

I don't know squat about physics or chemistry, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.