• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The coin peddlers on TV...

36 posts in this topic

Can you give us an example of the markup...what a typical coin costs retail/wholesale and what they offer it for?

It would depend on their margin, not markup. The way they probably do it is they start with deciding what they can realistically retail the coins for, then they get out their income statement, look at their margin on their cost of goods sold, and apply (1 - margin) x (retail price) = (wholesale cost). For example, their retail price is $20, and their margin is 40%. They’re going to pay, wholesale, 60% x $20 = $12 for the coins.

I do think they work backwards like that, from what they think they can move the coins for. Don’t forget, if they’re graded coins, they can turn them over at a higher retail price, helping to absorb the grading costs. They work out bulk deals with the TPGs, to hit their numbers. When they do, they’re in business.

That seems plausible to me. :foryou:

When they show a NGC slabbed coin, I wait for the close up and pause the screen. I then get my Iphone and punch the slab number into the NGC app and I get NGC's present fair market value for that exact coin. It works for all but the newest coins. It's fun to watch them lie their butt of about how this is the lowest price you'll ever see when you now for a fact that it is 40 to 60% markup

It's fun to watch them lie their butt of about how this is the lowest price you'll ever see when you know for a fact that it is 40 to 60% markup.

Ahh,but it may be the lowest price you will ever see.......from them.

All I know is one day my State Quarters collection is going to be worth a lot of money, they said it on TV.

I agree, got a set in gold and platinum....