• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what usa federal coin series is undervalued and has not seen a rise in price?

13 posts in this topic

I got an XF 45 Half Dime 1850 which has been stuck on the same price for a long time... I am not sure if this is in the whole series or just this one...

Hi Bruceswar

Except for some super-high grade gems, price for seated half dimes have basically not increased in last 3 years.

Two years ago, I sold 4 bust dollers to buy some seated half dimes foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

Unc. Seated Dimes (late dates, 1875-91)

All Barber Type in Unc.

Also, the stuff that not many people collect:

2 Cent Pieces

3 Cent Nickels

3 Cent Silver

Type SLQs in FH 5 & FH 6

why do you think that is?

If you are reffering to foreheadslap.gif icon, that's because price for bust doller have at least doubled in last 2-3 years...if I had kept and sold them now, I could have bought more half dimes.

I think half dimes have been in a rut for a few reasons. One is that they are an odd denomination in that we no longer make coins called half dimes, though we obviously make coins in an identical denomination. This is similar to two cent and three cent (both metals) pieces and, to a lesser extent, twenty cent pieces. Essentially, the are out of the thought process for many collectors. Also, half dimes are small and people seem to like larger silver coins over the smaller ones. After all, it still costs a bit to buy nice examples and for that money one might buy an enormous Morgan dollar. Lastly, this series is tough to put together if you want nice coins, so, many people do not jump in. For most folks a single type piece from each major type is sufficient. Hence, very little sustained demand and very little pressure on prices.

Seated Lib., No Motto obverse coins have been too low in price too long. Most dates of the era have pretty low MS cert. populations. However, the low populations are part of the problem because they stifle dealer interest and promotion. Better date Barber quarters and halves in MS grades are way too cheap also.

Nice coins from both these series often sell at multiples of sheet which indicates low dealer interest and valuation.

Charlie,

I picked up a really neat, toned 1861 O Half in MS 65 in March of '03 and an 1861 P Quarter that's a PQ MS 65 a year earlier. These coins were NOT cheap. Several years later, I picked up a with motto quarter in 6 for about 1/2 what I paid for the above quarter, and in the last month, I picked up a with motto half in 6 for less than what I paid for the no motto half in 5.

No, the No-Motto coins are not cheap, particularly the quarters and half dollars. IMHO, the dimes may be where the biggest opportunity lies. All of the dates for dimes, except the 1853-P Arrows, are really low pops. Even the '57-P has only couple hundred coins listed by NGC.

My thinking is with Tom. Bust half dimes have really not moved in price over the past 5 years. While there is not a tremendous demand for these coins it can still be very difficult to find nice original, unmolested examples.