• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

minting errors?

13 posts in this topic

hello, my name is shawna from rochester, ny. i am a bartender. tonight i opened a new pack of iowa quarters. they were sealed in plastic.

one of the quarters was completely unmarked. the rest were fine. there are no ridges, or slight impressions on the quarter. it is completely smooth with minor scratches on it... as if it were in a big mess of other coins... those kind of scratches.

i am not a coin collector. i have a couple of things i have hung onto for quite some time and i have heard of minting errors... double faced coins and half stamped tails. i even looked up errors, but didnt find anything to do with completely unmarked coins.

i kept one of the normal iowa coins from the same roll.

is this worth anything? to anyone? or just something to say "heh, look at that?"

sorry if this is posted in the wrong place... i usually post on car forums.

thanks for reading,

shawna in rochester

It appears you have an unstruck planchet(coin). On occasion during the minting process, several coin planchets will go through the minting process only to not be struck by the coin press. The unstruck planchet will be ejected into the coin bin along with other stamped coins. Unusual, but not rare. Your unstruck planchet is worth a couple of dollars.

TRUTH

heh. look at that makepoint.gif

thanks

actually... i AM talking to people with coins worth hundreds of thousands of dollars... does "a couple of dollars" mean $2 or $3... or does a

"couple of dollars" to you guys mean $5000? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif still worth the thought of some chance of me paying off a credit card with a plain coin i found.

or my little fantasy will be crushed. either way... thanks for the info.

shawna

Even more stranger is the error that I have in a Error Georgia coin that I have...

The coin is way off-set with 80% of the quater on and a 20% moon shaped

area with nothing on it.

I figured it would be pretty rare...

what do you think?

Off center strikes are a different story. Many error collectors love off centers, especially for the statehood quarters. If the coin is 20% offcenter and in nice condition, $50-$100, and worth sending into NGC for grading. The more offcenter, the more money. A 50% offcenter is about $300 or more.

TRUTH

The offcenters are worth more if they have the complete date. The state quarters are different since you know when each state was minted.

ALSO THERE ARE COINS CALLED INDENTS WERE THE COINS IS BLANK ON ON END OR PART OF THE COIN IS BLANK THEY CAN RUN INTO THE THOUSANDS DEPENDING ON HOW GOOD THE COIN IS AND HOW OLD IT IS EG MERCURY DIME FRANKLIN HALF DOLLAR ECT DON'T MIND THE CAPPS I WAS TO TIRED TO TURN THEM OFF lol.....D makepoint.gifDANIEL

Tootawl, do you remember when slot machines were legal along the Chesapeake Bay? I remember that I found a Liberty nickel out of a slot at Mayo Beach and Barbers at the TeePee on Rte 301 in Waldorf.

Chris

Born in Rockville, MD