• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VIDEO from San Fransisco 4 days before the Earth Quake that destroyed so much.

10 posts in this topic

107-ish YEAR OLD FILM CLIP

This film was "lost" for many years. It is the first 35mm film to come to light. It was taken by a camera mounted on the front of a cable car in San Francisco as it traveled down the street. You feel as if your really there, standing at the front looking down the street, amazing piece of historic film.

The number of automobiles is staggering for 1906. Absolutely amazing! No wonder there had to be laws created to regulate driving habits. Good thing the cars couldn’t go very fast! Looks like everyone had the right of way! Some of the cars had the steering wheels on the right side. I wonder when they standardized on the left?

The clock tower at the end of Market Street at the Embarcadero wharf is still there. How many "street cleaning" people were employed to pick up after the horses? Talk about going green!

This film was originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured out exactly when it was shot. From New York trade papers announcing the film showing, the wet streets from recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, even when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!). It was filmed only four days before the Great California Earthquake of April 18th 1906 and shipped by train to NY for processing.

You Tube Video: Filmed in San Fransisco April 18, 1906, 4 days prior to the earthquake that destroyed so much.

When I first saw this I thought someone jumped in a time machine, went back in time and mounted a Go Pro camera on the darn thing. So cool that this concept was done 100+ years before GoPro! I found it to be amazing.

How about those traffic patterns, go where ever you want when ever you want no matter the type of transportation...foot, horse, bicycle, car, trolley, .....I wonder how often accidents happened and how severe they were even though most were at fairly low speed. It is all fast enough to kill!

Surprisingly someone posted that video on these forums before. The background music is strange but perfect! I think the video looks better on youtube's slightly enlarged Small Player instead of fully enlarged. You can get to it at this link. Click on the solid rectangle at the bottom right of the screen.

I love that video! I live close to San Francisco. It's wonderful seeing a glimpse of SF over 100 years ago.

And this video is interesting showing Market St. before and after the earthquake. Will it happen again?

Surprisingly someone posted that video on these forums before. The background music is strange but perfect! I think the video looks better on youtube's slightly enlarged Small Player instead of fully enlarged. You can get to it at this link. Click on the solid rectangle at the bottom right of the screen.

Many thanks for reposting that, even if we've seen it before there's more to be discerned with additional viewings.

The street costumes of that day are remarkable, everybody's dressed up relatively formally, and the women have ground-sweeping dresses.

And people's style of walking is different from what we usually see nowadays, they are mostly taking longer strides, aren't they, how is that explained?

KeyMan thanks for reposting with the date and relation to the great 1906 EQ. I will use this video next time I am teaching EQ hazards in my class next spring, to show what SF looked like before, and then show images after, to demonstrate what the power of Earth is! College kids love this type of thing.

Best, HT

"And people's style of walking is different from what we usually see nowadays, they are mostly taking longer strides, aren't they, how is that explained?"

They didn't wear their pants down around their ankels and they were in great physical shape. I think I am mostly correct.