• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does this look like true doubling?

19 posts in this topic

That looks like mechanical or machine doubling to me. A good way to tell is if the area looks like a shelf and then rotate the coin to view that shelf, if it is mechanical or machine doubling it will look shiny and smooth.

I don't know. The second strike sure looks rounded to me.

Chris

Chris

That is what I was thinking as well. Now I just need to find out which coin that is. I was going through a couple of folders worth of macro shots and noticed those.

@ Kurt .. I wish I did have a good stereo microscope. I am just using one of those USB scopes and sometimes it takes good clear pictures and other times not so good.

But it is fun going back through all the shots you took previously and seeing something that you might have missed on first review.

That looks like mechanical or machine doubling to me. A good way to tell is if the area looks like a shelf and then rotate the coin to view that shelf, if it is mechanical or machine doubling it will look shiny and smooth.

Chris

I agree.

I would assume we (the viewers) are looking at 2 different coins, one a business strike the other a proof issue, correct?

Kind of does look like that, now that you mention it.

Yes. I figured out what coin it was that shows minor doubling in the "IN GOD". It is a 1978-S PF but there is no variety listed here or ATS but it looks very much rounded and not a ledge so I just don't know.

The first one was a 1966 SMS Half that I could not decide if it was machine or rounded.

Bill, those shots are awesome. Really, I'm blown away. Let me just add this onto my reply, as the kids in my kid's coin club are into these microscopes, and I've been over this ground with them, as well. Take this for what it's worth.

When you're looking at coins from this, if you will, micro level, it doesn't suffice to understand from a macro level. In other words, from a macro level, well, just Google it. You'll find all you need. You're looking for a flat, basically shelf-like appearance, to your secondary image, as that image is the result of a twist, or a slide, or a skip in the strike. Well, guess what? You can’t always hang your hat on that in the micro world. In that world, you're going to have height to that secondary image, in every case, otherwise, you’re not going to see it. Thus, you have to look beyond that factor, at other factors. And, here, the most revealing of those factors is, the primary images are compromised. In a doubled-die, those images are always going to be fully-intact. Well, discounting, of course, for circulation wear, distorting the length or width of the images. Look at your date. Look at the primary images. Notice how those images are foreshortened. Notice how they're not "all there." The secondary images "borrowed" from those primary images. That's why those primary images are foreshortened. That's the result of the striking of the coin. That's the stage at which that happens.

As an aside, did you ever see a video of how these coins are minted? It’s like machine-gun fire. So much is happening, so rapidly. We’ve come a long way since the screw presses, lol.

Interesting information there Kurt. I really am not sure what lighting environment I was under when I took those pictures but I think it was at night, no light source other than the ceiling light.

I was trying to recreate those conditions a few minutes ago and failed.

Jefferson, I think you are right and even if the second proof coin had some true doubling it would not generate much interest since it is so minor.

I am getting closer to being able to being able to identify doubling though I think. Maybe after a while I will get the hang of it. hm

Untitled+1264.jpg

Untitled+1262.jpg

Untitled+1263.jpg

Untitled+1209.jpg

Untitled+1210.jpg

Untitled+1211.jpg

Thanks.

Almost every 1966 SMS Kennedy shows some degree of actual die doubling. Yours appears to have primarily die fatigue doubling, but there are some ridges on the 6 and other letters/numbers that could be evidence of actual doubling.

I think it is a mild double as well but I can't find the coin it was on. I know it is here somewhere.

Either way, I doubt it is dramatic enough to meet a collectors demand. I will find which one it is though and place a small reminder sticker on it so I won't loose it again. :)

Most of the 1966 DDs are listed by CONECA, and collected by their followers, presumably.

Does anyone actually collect moderns by variety? It seems more like a curiosity to me - hey, that's neat, my coin has a DDO....

Many people are trying to get SMS Kennedy Doubled Dies. A number of new listings were added to the last Cherrypicker's Guide for this reason. Additionally, people are paying money to have their coins evaluated and listed by CONECA. The number of new listings is always growing.

Many people are trying to get SMS Kennedy Doubled Dies. A number of new listings were added to the last Cherrypicker's Guide for this reason. Additionally, people are paying money to have their coins evaluated and listed by CONECA. The number of new listings is always growing.

I understand there's a correlation between that and the increase in the sales of microscopes. :)